PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone :)

Rachel_123
07-05-09, 21:38
Hi guys my name is Rachel, i'm 18 and I have been consciously suffering from panic attacks for about 6 months now.

Just a little bit of backround info:
I have always been a worrier and i get easily stressed and irritated. I've just always been that way. I have come to believe that my childhood has shaped me to be this way. I have two parents who are very loving, my mother is a recovering alcoholic and has always been the type to shield me from the world. I'm quite the over thinker, and i tend to over analyze alot. I love to be in control, and i love routine.

About six months ago, I started to get really stressed. I'm currently in my last year of secondary school, I'm doing my Leaving Cert and I plan to study Nursing next year. My exams are in four weeks. One day i was particularly stressed so i decided to go to the cinema with my boyfriend. Long story short, I got a panic attack in the cinema, and it lasted for about 4 hours. Longest panic attack EVER :O :)

I went to the doctor and was put on Mirtazapine, an anti-depressent. I also went to a 6 week course of relaxation therapy.

The anxiety has got better, to the point where i can go out, and i do function, but its never quite gone from my mind. Theres always something nagging in the back of my head, telling me to be afraid.

One thing's for sure - i'm afraid of the uncertain, and at this point in my life, its a transition and nothing is certain. I feel ive done so well so far, so i hope my recovery can keep being positive, and i can keep stepping forward.

My depression doesn't seem to go away though. maybe its only early days, but i don't feel excited about anything anymore, even when i know and want to .

well thats me i suppose :)

diane07
07-05-09, 21:44
Hi Rachel

A huge warm welcome to nmp

you'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way

check out the menu on the left it has loads of information there to help you and keep posting on the forum we'll help you all we can

best wishes

di xx

Southern_Belle
08-05-09, 18:19
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and will give you their support. I'm glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura

duskess
08-05-09, 18:38
Hello Rachel , Welcome to NMP , lots of help advice and understanding members , glad you found the site , take care , :welcome: Dusky x

Rachel_123
09-05-09, 12:49
thanks guys :)

tracey g
14-05-09, 21:46
Hi rachel, i have been taking the same meds as you for 6 months. I at least have a good sleep every night, just need to work on getting through the days. the meds have worked well for depression too but my main problem is the anxiety and keeping the panics at bay. Hope you feel well soon. Take care xx

Rachel_123
19-05-09, 21:26
Hi rachel, i have been taking the same meds as you for 6 months. I at least have a good sleep every night, just need to work on getting through the days. the meds have worked well for depression too but my main problem is the anxiety and keeping the panics at bay. Hope you feel well soon. Take care xx

yeah, the one positive thing i can say about them is that they do give you a great nights sleep. as for depression - it's touch and go - i'm not really sure if they work well for me, but i will wait and see what im like after my exams to go to the doc. he must be sick of me by now!