PDA

View Full Version : Menopause and Insomnia

lauren6
08-05-09, 13:52
I don't know if I'm the only one here who has gone through menopause :-( but if there is and you are also going through insomnia, any advice? I would love to be able to get a good night's sleep without waking up 3 times. Every now and then I take diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Sominex) but I hate relying on a drug. Has anyone here tried melatonin? This sleepiness is taking a toll on my emotional and physical health.

lorac
08-05-09, 13:59
Hi Lauren

Sorry I don't have any good advice to give but just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this. I am going through the menopause and I don't remeber the last time I had a really good nights sleep, I toss and turn and wake up sweating most nights and it does drain you.

The joys of being a woman hey.

Hope things improve for you soon.

Carol

bex1970
08-05-09, 14:40
I have tried Melatonin for jet lag not hormonal purposes. It worked like a dream. As it is a synthetic hormone itself, it should help.

lauren6
08-05-09, 14:51
Thank you Carol and Bex! Yes, the joys of being a woman...while the men are able to doze off watching tv and stay asleep snoring all night, LOL. Bex, how many mg. did you take? It's worth a try, I know melatonin helped some of my friends also. I'm going to google it but would rather hear it from someone who has actually used it successfully.

bex1970
08-05-09, 14:56
I think I took the recommended dosage - you won't find many people have taken it here as we can't get it in the UK as it hasn't been approved for general use (ridiculous). So, when I lived in Singapore, I used to take one at bedtime after I had travelled to the UK, and vice-versa - there are different strengths I think - ask your pharmacist which one he recommends. But I took one of the standardised dosage (can't remember what it was, sorry).

bex1970
08-05-09, 14:56
I think I took the recommended dosage - you won't find many people have taken it here as we can't get it in the UK as it hasn't been approved for general use (ridiculous). So, when I lived in Singapore, I used to take one at bedtime after I had travelled to the UK, and vice-versa - there are different strengths I think - ask your pharmacist which one he recommends. But I took one of the standardised dosage (can't remember what it was, sorry).

lesleya
09-05-09, 00:21
Hi Lauren
Im in the same boat too hun, i cant remember the last time i had a full good nights sleep what with 'jolts' etc when i do eventually drop off.
Lol you sound like youve got my hubby there...he snores his head off as soon as it hits the pillow then whinges if i dare move in the bed and wake him up from his precious sleep
Dont know about anyone else but im more anxious about going to sleep when hes in the bed because im very concious of moving about or making a noise to wake him?
Let us know how you go on those pills if you try them lauren? i dont take anything at the moment...hope they work for you.
Take care
xxx

scarecrow
09-05-09, 17:42
Hello Lauren, I'm peri menopause, so far this year I have had three bouts of total insomonia, which means I haven't slept AT ALL day or night. At one time it went on for one and half weeks and I had NO sleep at all, honestly, I mean NO sleep whatsoever and I was turning into a wreck so I went to the doctor and burst into tears, she gave me Amitriptyline, I tried that for two days and it didn't work, then went back and saw another doctor and he gave me Valium and that didn't work, then after another two days I went back as I was desperate and saw another doctor and he gave me Temazepam, that was my saviour. I stayed on Temazepam for about four nights and then I came off them as my normal sleeping pattern kicked in. Each time those bouts came I did that and it worked a treat. Doctors don't like you to stay on Temazepam for very long as it is very addictive.

This total insomonia has only started this year, the last case I had of it was twenty years ago but that was to do with anxiety over CJD, I ended up having a nervous breakdown. Anyway I am now on Citalopram and that has helped my sleeping so I'm hoping not to have any more of those total insomnia sessions! At least I know that Temazepam works for me just to take briefly if I do.

I think insomnia is one of the effects of menopause isnt it, it can be very unplesant. I hope you find something that works for you Lauren. Take care x

sharona
09-05-09, 17:59
Hi

Welcome to the lovely journey of the menopause, like Lesley says men just go to sleep while we lay awake for hours wondering what to do. I have not had a good nights sleep for a few year since I started menopause. I have not taken anything for it but if I were you I would ask in the health shops for advice.Its good to know we are not alone in this.I wish I could have just ONE good nights sleep without pushing the quilt off.

My husband snores all night, I wish I could.

Anyway let me know how you get on with any herbal stuff. I am currently awaiting to go to the menopause clininc where I live which will be helpful I hope.

Have a nice weekend irls. Keep in touch.

Sharona :hugs: