PDA

View Full Version : Fear of death

lara100
23-08-05, 18:10
Hi my name is Lara and I have just joined the foum. I have a massive fear of me dying and those around me dying. I also have a massive fear of people vomiting near me, so much so that I f I am on public transport Im constantly monitoring what people look like, if they look ill etc etc!

~Mary~
23-08-05, 20:07
Hello Lara. Unfortunately fear of dying and death in general is very common with people like us, you know..worriers.... [:I] My dad has anxiety and panic just like I do, and he also has a fear of death. Have you seen a therapist or anything? Those are just the people to help you with that! :) And when it comes to "monitoring" if people look ill when your around them, us "worriers" are good at that. lol We pay attention to every little detail about everything and over-anylize it. A therapist told me one time that whenever I'm worrying about something happening (such as the person next to you vomiting) to "think about what is POSSIBLE and what is PROBABLE." and reassure yourself that its PROBABLE that what you're worrying about isnt going to happen. ;)

~*~MaRy

removed
23-08-05, 20:39
Hi Lara
welcome to the forum:D
What is it about people vomiting that scares you so much(apart from the fact that it sounds disgusting)?
I am interested, because when i was small, I had a terrible fear of myself vomiting due to the fact that it happened to me at school one day and i got into trouble for being sick over my desk.
I totally understand the fear of death thing.
I think that at some point in everyone's life it's an issue that has to be faced.
One bit of consolation-I don't know of any old people that are afraid of dying. They come to terms with it and learn to live in the moment.
I am learning to do that myself.( I'm getting on a bit-53 now) If you can just BE in the moment you are in without worrying about the future(even the next moment) you will find peace.
Easier said than done I know
:) Janet

tammyg
23-08-05, 21:17
Hi Lara,

My main problem is emetophobia which is a fear of being sick. Do you think your fear of vomiting may be this or is it linked to your fear of death/dying? Just a thought. I do those things you see, am constantly asking ppl if they are well, are they sure, etc.

Tam x

Cookie
23-08-05, 22:05
Hi Lara,
I have a real fear of death. Just talking about it for more than a minute makes me feel sick. I get all dizzy and feel like I'm not really here, all spaced out. Its horrible. I tried talking to a counsellor about it but it ended up occupying my thoughts for days, which ended up making me worse!
I don't know what to say to help, just that you're not on your own hun. I feel exactly the same.

Shell.x:)

Quirky
23-08-05, 22:08
Yes I have a fear of dying too, it's quite common even in non anxious people.
I don't quite know why I have this fear, maybe it stems from my Mum dying when I was eight, who knows. In some ways we're all going to die one day and can't change it so why worry, but we still do! At my most acute with anxiety I was scared to sleep incase I died in my sleep.
I have seen someone dying, he didn't seem scared at all and it all seemed very peaceful, but it still scares me. I think alot of my health anxieties are ultimately due to being scared of dying, if I could rid myself of this fear I'd be so less worried. I had CBT which helped alot but the fear still pops up from time to time.
You're not alone with this fear Lara, welcome to the site too
LJ

strawberrie
24-08-05, 12:43
hi lara,

i totally understand your fear of dying because i have this too. I am always amazed when people say 'when you're young you think you'll live forever'. I have always been convinced that i will pop my clogs any minute so to have had any time when i thought i would live forever would have been a real luxury!

I'm afraid i can't really offer any advice except keep visiting the forum, just to know you are not alone in your fears is really helpful. It would be nice to see you in chat too, it really helps to have a good laugh about things sometimes, and thats what we usually do there! :D

Take care,
mag xx

Meg
24-08-05, 13:19
Fear of death (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=321)
obsession with death, why? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4764)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Elizabeth-24
28-08-05, 19:24
Hi lara, im pretty new to the hole panic attack thing, but ever since i had it i been thinking about dying alot, and it scares me to the point where i belive im going to have another attack.

i hope it will go away as time go by. and for you too lara! best wishes

*****ElIzAbEtH*****
*****SiLiGa*****
HaVe*A*bLeSsEd*DaY*