PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia 'phases'

Angelai
08-05-09, 22:05
Hi, I've been emet for around 25 years...

There have been times when this wasn't really an issue for me, no obsessive worrying/avoidance/cleaning/panic/depression - you know the score. But right now it's the worst it's ever been, and has been like this for 2 years. Why? What was different during the periods when this demon wasn't ruling my life? Right now, I think about s*** every day, many times a day, I just can't stop myself. I want to scream and shout and lash out at all those irresponsible people who don't quarantine themselves/their family after an 'episode'. How can they be so selfish???

The fact that I HAVE had periods when I could carry on a relatively normal life just reinforces the truth - it's in MY mind, under MY control. So now I am even more angry... at myself. For being so weak and useless.

Sorry, just needed to vent :blush:

D3NIS3
08-05-09, 22:14
strange u should say that coz its only been the last 6 months i have got this bad b4 even tho i was scared of being sick i never worried about it like this the only thing i can say is i think mine gets worse in the winter months as thats what bugs and colds go round fast always someone with something and in the summer i dont tend to panic so much

belle
09-05-09, 13:02
I've had definite phases with my emetophobia. When i became housebound in 1999 it was THE leading factor of my illness. I was terrified that i was going to get sick, anywhere and everywhere and by anyone and everyone and that made me agoraphobic and obviously housebound.

Like you it consumed my every second. I could eat BUT i couldn't cook, if that makes sense. I couldn't bare the smell of food in the house in case i started feeling sick and then i was stuck with cooking smells. Summertimes were awful because of the smell of bar-b-ques in the air, i couldn't even escape cooking smells outdoors.

ANYWAY....now my emet is worse during winter for obvious reasons. I do have moments of fear now and then, but it doesn't consume my life. I have no idea how i got here, but i am glad i did.

:)

x

TomMonteith
21-07-09, 10:05
Heyyy

im just like you suffering with an emetophobia ,
i was just wondering if you would like to email me or chat via private message and just talk about the phobia and what things we can do to help each other.
i would love that ad im sure it would help each other

anyway me email is . . . Tom.1610@hotmail.com

Thanks
Tom x

nomorepanic
21-07-09, 10:21
Tom

Please read this thread..

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41655

harps
27-07-09, 17:23
I know exactly how you feel, it is after all in our own minds and ultimately under our control, which is why its so frustrating when it crops up. I have had the fear of sick all my life, but it was never really a phobia as it wasn't detrimental to my life. I'd never experienced panic, and would get on with my life, not giving sick a second thought. Last October however I had a bad experience and ever since my life has been ruled by my emetophobia and panic attacks. Every minute of the day is a struggle, and my life has just been turned upside down. It's so frustrating to think that I never used to be effected by this, but now it rules me. I am half the person I used to be, am becoming agoraphobic...I just don't know when this 'phase' will end and whether I'll ever get back to how I used to be. Its horrible to think that this is my life now. I'm desperate to get the old care-free me back!

harps
27-07-09, 18:19
argh I just wrote a really long message and lost it! hopefully I can remember most of what I was saying...

I completely understand the frustration associated with this phobia. Of course, its all in OUR minds, so WE have the control to make it stop. I have been afraid of seeing/hearing/being sick all my life, but it never stopped me from doing things. It wasn't detrimental to my life, I never gave it a second thought really.

However, last October I had a bad trigger event, which has taken this fear and made it the focal point of my life. So, for the past 9 months I have been ruled by anxiety caused by this phobia. Never before had I suffered panic attacks, now I'll never forget them. Emetophobia has turned my life around, and made me half the person I once was. I am 22 now, and I feel as though I am wasting my life away worrying about something that inevitably never happens. I am so afraid I'll never get over this blip. Its so frustrating to think that once, not even a year ago, I was a care-free happy person with a bright future. I wonder whether I will be like this for the rest of my life.

So I guess this past 10 months has been my first emetophobia 'phase'. How long do other people have bad phases for? How on earth do you manage to get out of the rut? I have tried hypnotherapy, had 2 sessions a couple of weeks ago, and honestly it made me worse. Seemed to bring out emotions and raise them to the surface. I've been extra anxious ever since. I think maybe that's the point of hypnotherapy, to bring these fears out to the surface so you can face them, then move on. Like it has to get worse before it gets better? Anyway, I am deviating. There are a lot of emetophobes on this forum, so I'd love to hear more opinions.

nomorepanic
27-07-09, 18:25
Harps - you didn't lose it - all first posts are moderated.

harps
27-07-09, 19:06
Harps - you didn't lose it - all first posts are moderated.

ah I see now, thanks

sweetypie
27-07-09, 22:11
hiya i also have suffer with sever emetophobia :(

since i was 11 all my life iv sufferd with phobias been scared of bad weather i became house bound at the age of 8 thats no age is it
then i got pregnant at 16 which is somthing i would never regret but i didnt have morning sickness infact when i got pregnant my phobia went i was more scared of loseing my child
but then i had my second daughter im 20 now and my daughter is 8 months nearly and since she was born my emetophobia has gone out of control
i was nearly admitted into the hospital by the crisis team
because i tried to overdose on anti sickness meds
they drugged me up on diazepam for weeks i never ate hardly slept i put my family through hell and my partner i drove my children away too iv found it so hard to be round them incase there sick round me
i self harmed cut all down my arms and legs
i hid in corners crying with the thought of a bug been out there
i ran away thinking its best if i stay away from people but police got involved i have never had to deal with a phobia this bad but its taken over my life
its pushed me away from every one round me
every day gets a little easyer but as i see the leafs falling of the trees my stomach turns because the autmn is coming bug season this is when i no my panic is going to be the same as when it started
my partner is a great surporter and so are my family
at the min im struggling to eat again i was doin well with eating buts its shatterd again i no my panic is coming back im just trying to fight it all of
but sometimes its stronger then me specially now im weaker

Angelai
28-07-09, 21:52
Thanks for your thoughts, I wish I was the only one :ohmy:

Harp - I couldn't say how long my phases have lasted, I only realise that I haven't been in one when another one starts :wacko: . I had 13 (stupid, why 13??) sessions of analytical hypnosis 2 years ago - and I felt awful through it. I didn't really realise how awful until I suddenly decided I wanted to move house, closer to my mum, and found I couldn't go to work any more. I still don't know if the therapy helped, but it has got me thinking about possible 'reasons' for my emetophobia (other than the standard stuff I've always considered played a part). I thought I would finish the therapy with a clear memory of an event, previously forgotten, that I would finally be able to face and put behind me. Hasn't happened yet... In the meantime, EVERYONE from my childhood is a suspect in some dreadfully traumatic event that I still can't remember. In reality, it could be something as simple as peeing my pants in assembly :D

sweetypie
29-07-09, 08:56
i had hypnotherapy one session and worked well for me i felt on top of world for about 2 days
but i didnt want no more because theres stuff in my childhood i didnt even want my mum to no

and this is what the hypnotherapest was goin to work on and i didnt want my mum to find out what happend so i stoped it
also
i think my phobia is down to my dad he used to throw up after he ate dont no why but he must of had a weak stomach
he passed away nrly 3 yrs ago now
but still plays on my mind
i wish i new what it was but im just putting it down to that because its only thing i can think of
but i heard the smallest thing can trigger emetophobia it doesnt have to be assosiated to been sick in middle of the street it can be just somone saying oh i had a bug last week somthing so small can kick start it

SharonDerby
29-07-09, 10:39
Hi all
i can sympathise with all of you, i have been Emit for many many years, i have to say i have had very very low periods with it but it has improved over the years mainly due to research,kind words on here and telling myself that people just arn't sick for no reason ev day of their lives, it started years ago after a period of stress/anxiety (didn't know what anxiety was untill then)
HOWEVER over the past 18 months i have been through a period of stress that i thought i was manageing well but now i realise it has done me more damage than i thought and i haven't actualy managed it well at all.
All my old symptoms that i had 20 years ago are starting to return i'm starting to become very frightened of how i feel, watching, analizing ev single fealing/emotion it's awful.
I know deep down it is my imagination BUT i can't think str8 i am starting to fear i'm going mad (a symptom i had for years but overcame with great success) i'm starting to be scared of being alone again incase i do something stupid, i'm starting to feel sick ev hour of ev day again.....
in truth i feel like iv'e stepped back 20 years, im pretty angry that i feel like this because having been through all thease things befor i thought i would be able to cope with them, but i'm not coping at all.
Anyway just wanted to let you know i am always around if i can help anyone with this dreadful phobia i will, i can assure you i have done and felt all the same things as you, nothing about this phobia is odd or crazy to me like i said i have done/felt the same as all of you.

Take good care
Sharon :)

Angelai
30-07-09, 00:05
sweetypie - my therapist said pretty much the same thing. This could all be down to something that as an adult I would find really insignificant, and is probably not even related to actual s***. I did feel he was leading me a little bit, leaning towards the idea that it could be to do with being made to have something unpleasant in my mouth for example (I was abused as a child, go figure...). This has led me to imagine all sorts of horrific things! I've talked to my mum about it and she has asked me if I remember particular things (which I don't, so could one of them be 'it'? If yes, then shouldn't I be getting better now I'm really thinking about the incident? Or do I actually have to remember the thing happening???)

Sharon and sweetypie - it sounds like both of you are going through a tough time at the moment, I'm sorry you're suffering. I really appreciate you sharing. Sharon, it must be so frustrating for you to feel like you've gone so far back :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Take care, pm me if you want xxx

Claudette
31-07-09, 02:42
i have had emetophobia for as long as I can remember i think It was triggrered by travel sickness as kid. I feel sick tonight and am in a panic because i have suspected Swine Flu. I have also put off having kids because I am worried about morning sickness. Sound familliar would be good to hear from anyone Claudette