PDA

View Full Version : Stressful week

Erinath
09-05-09, 12:06
Where to begin? I generally have a rather stressful life, my mother has an incurable degenerative disease, my brother has severe mental health problems (he's been sectioned a couple of times) and our son (the third of our 4 children) is considered special needs .... though we're still awaiting a diagnosis.

Well, my brother seems to have health anxiety as well now, so when he started saying he'd found a lump in a rather personal place, we were so used to him constantly thinking he had cancer that we weren't concerned. His doctor said to wait to see if the lump went by itself. It hasn't. Now he's been booked for a scan. I'm trying not to worry, but with him it's more about how the stress will affect him. Stress is a huge trigger for my brother (isn't it for most people though?) and my main concern is that he's going to end up back in the psychiatric ward ... or worse.

The other thing that's getting to me, and compared to that it may sound like nothing, is this: as I said, my son's a special needs child, he's still undergoing diagnosis. We suspected it was an autistic spectrum disorder, but were treated in a very off manner & told it wasn't. His last check-up at the child development centre was a total about turn, the paediatrician said she could see why we thought it was an asd & he's been referred to the autistic spectrum clinic. The appointment came through today. I've now got such a mixture of emotions going on, partially feeling as though I've wished this upon him by me keeping on asking for him to be assessed for it, partially scared in case he is & therefore my little cushion of denial goes away that it's not something long term, partially scared that the appointment just comes back inclusive as round here they tend not to diagnose asd until a child is around 8 (he's 5). Waiting for him to get diagnosed is such a roller coaster of emotions & really isn't helping me at all. I just want what's best for my son.

So, all in all, this week has been pretty tough on me. Sorry for moaning, but felt I had to have some sort of outlet.

Southern_Belle
09-05-09, 13:41
:bighug1: Erin,

You have an awful lot on your plate right now. It is easy to understand why you feel so overwhelmed. I hope you have a good support system from someone because I suspect you need it. If your son has asd you have not wished it upon him so never feel that guilt. You will be getting help for him extra early and that can only be a plus. If he doesn't have it then it is just one more thing ruled out. I do hope things go well for your brother and hope your mother isn't in any pain. Please know that you are all in my prayers.

Take care,

Laura

bluesparkle
09-05-09, 14:19
hello
i think we spoke briefly in chat this morning...
i just wanted to send you some :hugs:
i know this must be very stressful... but if he is diagnosed you can then start to get all the help you need...and being only 5 you will be amazed at how much that will help.
you have most certainly not wished this upon him and do not ever think that ok...
you sound like a great mum to me and are doing whats best for you child.
let us know how he gets on.
rach
x

claire m
09-05-09, 21:43
big hugs erinath.:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighu g1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::b ighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug 1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bi ghug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Erinath
10-05-09, 11:56
Thank you everybody for your kind replies. I contacted my brother yesterday just to check how he was & it turns out he's had his scan & got the all clear. Am rather miffed that my mother is always very quick to contact me with bad news but doesn't do the same with good news ... oh well, at least he's ok.

suzy-sue
11-05-09, 23:14
Sending you a big hug Erinath and hope all goes well for your son.You sound like a really good mum, daughter and sister.Love to you and your family.Sue:bighug1: xxx Glad your brother got the good news,one less thing to worry about.Take care X