PDA

View Full Version : Feeling strange - Citalopram not working?

PoppyC
09-05-09, 16:00
The past 2 days have been horrid - I just cannot shake off this horrible anxiety & feeling down feeling. I have taken my citalopram for the day but its not really getting rid of this feeling.
I cant really describe the feeling well but it is combination of part anxiety and part feeling exhausted and part derealization. Everywhere looks a bit strange and I feel a bit alienated from everything - there is just an odd atmosphere it seems.
I have not had a day like this in ages and I thought the citalopram would help but obviously its not! I just hope tomorrow I feel better than today.
Sorry for the whinge.
Does anyone else get bad days even though they are on citalopram? as though the drug isnt working ?

sharona
09-05-09, 17:49
Hi Poppy

I had that feeling on seroxat but I was o.k the next day. I thought it had stopped but it was my mind working overtime I think.
Go back to your gp if they do not work as citalopram never worked for me, they made me more anxious.
Hope you feel better soon love.

Sharona

NoPoet
09-05-09, 18:02
Hi Poppy, I know exactly how you feel, I have felt rubbish these last few days since I started counselling. I've been exhausted, headachey, depressed and feeling anxious once again.

I have been using the MIND and Samaritans services if I've been feeling bad at home and I have spent a lot of time with friends. The main thing when your mood is wavering is to do something to lift it as soon as you realise there is a problem.

I feel that talking about my problems and actively trying to find solutions provides more reassurance than the medication. Lots of people have "blips" while taking citalopram, we have to manage them and keep ploughing through. If you recently increased your medication that could be responsible for your negative feelings.

PoppyC
09-05-09, 19:01
Hi Sharona and Poet! :)
Thanks for your replies.
Poet I am sorry you are having a bad few days. I hope it all starts to improve for you soon.
I just had a long relaxing soak with candles and incense sticks on and it helped calm me a little. I feel so drugged but not in a nice way.:wacko:
Can you just ring and chat with the Samaritans if its not a crisis?
I thought it was just for when you are suicidal? I didnt know that. Do you find that MIND helps.
How is your counselling going? What is the therapist like?
I do get out a lot more now I am overcoming agoraphobia but just when I think that I have overcome anxiety and all the other feelings, then wham right back it comes. Maybe when I am back working outside of the home, being around others at work, I will feel better - it will take my mind off me I feel.
Its horrid isnt it - sometimes it seems never ending - like sometimes it feels like every single day is a struggle to deal with it all - I may just give in - declare myself insane and sit rocking in my chair(I wont! :winks:)
Sharona - Do you find that Seroxat is better than Citalopram? How long were you on Citalopram for? Do you feel better now?
Thanks again for replies to the both of you :)

NoPoet
09-05-09, 19:10
Hi, the Samaritans will do the same for you as I and everyone else who's responded to your posts are doing -- they will listen to you and provide a point of human contact who you can turn to whenever you are feeling anxious, down, upset or otherwise in need of help.

I find it tremendously helpful and I strongly recommend the Samaritans to anyone was has any kind of problem that they need to talk about. It really helps.

I spoke to a good bloke yesterday, he was really encouraging and he hinted that he has been through the same as myself. At the end of the call I thanked him for giving his time to listen to me and I told him I respected that he has chosen to spend his life helping people to get through the problems he has beaten.

Budgie
09-05-09, 20:28
Hei Poppy :hugs:

Hmm, its a curious situation. I have to say what you described in your first post, is how I have been feeling over the past couple of months :unsure: (I've been on 20mg since mid Feb)

I'm getting very concerned -- do I need more cit? Less cit? I know medication isn't meant to be somemiracle elixir, but I just feel so down all the time, and anxious, everyday. I also get a really strange feeling of unreality. I dunno, maybe I need to do something more... :shrug: Some days its all I can do to get out of bed :doh:

PoppyC
10-05-09, 09:27
Thanks everyone for replies. :)
I hope you are feeling not so anxious today.
Budgie - Even though you say sometimes you find it a struggle to get out of bed and finding things difficult, you still go out to work, which I really admire you for. You sound like you are a strong person.
How are you feeling today?
I can relate to the feelings of unreality. Its a horrible feeling isnt it - most anxiety symptoms I can deal with but the unreality bit makes me feel physically sick sometimes.
Today I dont feel so bad - the past 2 days I have felt really up and down.
You said you dont know whether to reduce or increase the dose - I am feeling like that. I just am scared of upping the dose and feeling worse for a while. I find it exhausting when I feel up and down all day long. I wake up exhausted.
I hope you have a better day. It looks lovely outside.:shades:

alias_kev
10-05-09, 17:49
Hey Poppy, Glad you are having a better day today, and hope it stayed that way. :)

Budgie
10-05-09, 18:55
Thanks everyone for replies. :)
I hope you are feeling not so anxious today.
Budgie - Even though you say sometimes you find it a struggle to get out of bed and finding things difficult, you still go out to work, which I really admire you for. You sound like you are a strong person.
How are you feeling today?
I can relate to the feelings of unreality. Its a horrible feeling isnt it - most anxiety symptoms I can deal with but the unreality bit makes me feel physically sick sometimes.
Today I dont feel so bad - the past 2 days I have felt really up and down.
You said you dont know whether to reduce or increase the dose - I am feeling like that. I just am scared of upping the dose and feeling worse for a while. I find it exhausting when I feel up and down all day long. I wake up exhausted.
I hope you have a better day. It looks lovely outside.:shades:

Omgosh, yes! Thats so true poppy about feeling physically ill :scared15: I get so anxious and worried I feel really unwell, but the unreal feeling makes me feel quite disorientated and ill. Its all so exhausting.

Today I have found it difficult :blush: I really don't want to go to work tomorrow :frown: I hate it! I've been looking at job vacancies and not having much success; I looked into apprenticeships, but I read that I am ineligable to do on as I have a degree :shrug: Agh, I just have this horrible sense I am going to be stuck being a completely bored and frustrated, lonely admin assistant forever :sad:

PoppyC
10-05-09, 20:48
Hi again Budgie! :)
I am so sorry about your job situation. Its horrible having a job you are not enjoying. I cant believe when you have a degree that you cant get on an apprenticeship!
Its not really a good time for job searching at the moment though is it, so hopefully when the jobs situation improves you will be easily able to get another job, where you will meet other people and be less lonely.
Could you go temping???
How are the driving lessons going?
Tell yourself that you are not going to be where you are forever and that you are applying for other jobs and at least you are being positive - you are not just sitting whinging about hating your job, but yet never change the situation, like some people do - you are actively seeking another job.
I admire you for going out to work though. I work from home but know I would feel better if I worked around people out of the home, but the thing is I think I would probably hyperventilate, be sick and have a massive panic attack and thats just at the interview stage! I was hoping citalopram would transform me but its not happening! I am a lot better and CBT helps a bit, and I do all the self help there is, but the anxiety is still there :doh: I know I should be greatful for feeling better than what I was though.
You are right about the tiring effect of the anxiety - it is really draining isnt it?
I bought some Insitol today and going to start taking that tomorrow. I hate taking tablets as I fear choking on them but I have read quite a lot of good thems about Insitol so I will try them and hopefully wont choke! :unsure:
I hope tomorrow goes quickly for you and that its not such a bad day.:)