PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline, bruising and fatigue

lrforge
10-05-09, 02:07
Has anyone else gotten this? i have been on sertraline 50 mg for about 3 weeks, since then-maybe the last week, I have noticed considerable bruising on legs and arms and I am tired all the time. I take it in the am. I am not sure if sertraline causes drowiness or not. Can anyone help? And how are you guys doing on it?

sharona
07-06-09, 15:00
Hi

I have been taking sertraline for 3 weeks up until yesterday when I discovered bruising on my arms and legs. I had to go to see a doctor who advised me to come off it. I would definetly talk to your doctor. Let me know what they say.

Sharona

lrforge
13-06-09, 21:25
Well, I did go in and got a bunch of bloodwork done, it was all ok. They said if it was anything serious it would have shown up on that. Then I had an appt with the pychistrist, she said in her 40 years of practice, with a baby dose of what I am taking, she said it wouldn't do anything. I do still get some bruises here and there, but my baby is in his "biting" stage. I only take 25 mg of sertraline and 12/5 mg of atenolol. Once I added atenolol (bp meds) I have been doing great...

zavo
13-06-09, 23:01
Just to say I've been on it for about a month and it has really helped me. I do feel sleepier than normal and I initially had night sweats but that's gone now. All in all, I am very pleased....no bruising as far as I'm aware. Good luck and give them another week or two.

lrforge
14-06-09, 00:09
I am glad to hear you are doing well on them, i was on them before after I gave birth for almost a year, did great. Then I was off for awhile and I really plumeted. I started them again, started getting the brusing and 1/2 of them are form my child but I still got very worried. SO, I read about the side effects, bruising being the rare but serious ones. So went in, they did the blood clotting test ect, to make sure platlets were doing their normal function. Everything ok, dr figures I have had more bruising from taking ibprofen than anything. Now I do get bruising on my legs, I am just trying to keep attention if I am doing it myself or otherwise. My pyciatrist said that SSRI's have anti clotting formuals in them, so I am really trying not to worry. They are doing a fair job of keeping me sane. Then I started the bp meds because that was starting to rise, another side effect of the SSRI. They have helped emornously with sertraline. I am myself again.

Dobbiedoo
01-05-22, 14:38
I know this is an old thread but 3 days ago, after being on Sertraline for 4 weeks, I suddenly came out in about half a dozen purple bruises on my arms & legs, a couple of them were huge! This is listed as a serious side effect so I spoke to my GP who sent me to A&E. I have health anxiety so was petrified. 5 hours and several blood tests later they said all was fine so likely Sertraline was to blame so I should come off straightaway. Fingers crossed, no more bruises since and the original ones are fading fast. However, they still want to send me for a CT scan, presumably to check no damage done so pretty scared still.

Has anyone else experienced this side effect? Seems it's pretty rare (A&E doctor had to look it up as not heard of it!)