PDA

View Full Version : Off Balance

R.S 31
10-05-09, 02:46
Thank you everyone for taking your time and sharing your issues. Not that it helps but its “good” to know that I’m not alone with this manner. Before I continue, I must mention that I’m coming from a foreign country so please forgive me if I have some typos and/or grammar mistakes.
I’m even not sure how to name it. I’m not sure that dizziness/vertigo are the best ways to describe my feeling. I don't feel neither that the world is spinning around me nor being confused or disoriented.
I guess the best way to describe it is that I’m feeling that I’m walking on a boat, a feeling of being off balance. This creates a very inconvenient feeling which affects the quality of my life. It all started 9 months ago while I was at work. All of the sudden without any reason I felt that the surface that I was walking on didn’t feel the same. I immediately sat down since I was so scared and had the feeling that I was going to fall. It felt like I was standing on a boat or being in an elevator. I went home hoping it will disappear. Since it didn’t, go away, I went to see my doctor who advised me to run some tests. I did blood test, urine test, EEG, and C.T.
Thanks God, all tests were normal. However, the problem remained so I took it to the next level and went to see a neurologist who recommended M.R.I. Thanks God, again, all results were normal.

The next step was meeting with an ENT (Ears, Nose & Throat) since I had the feeling it was coming from my ears. We ran couple of tests but everything was normal.
The last wrote me prescriptions for 10mg of Amitriptyline which I took for 3 months. Then, I doubled the doze to 20mg per day but it brought no results.

In that point, you can imagine how desperate I was. No one seemed to diagnose my problem so obviously no one could help curing it. I decided not to give up and I tried some alternative health options such as acupuncture, reflexology, and body manipulation but unfortunately they were no help either.
I must mention that it only appears while I’m walking. It doesn’t happen while I’m sitting, driving or lying down.
It doesn’t affect my vision, appetite, falling to sleep, sleep or any other functions. As mentioned, it only kicks me while I’m walking.
If anyone feels the same symptoms and have any comment or suggestion, please feel free to contact me.
Thank you, God bless you.

Bill
10-05-09, 03:24
Thoughts that come to mind are anemia, low blood pressure or inner ear infection but if you've been checked out for all these things, I would suspect it's all due to anxiety.

It all started 9 months ago while I was at work. All of the sudden without any reason I felt that the surface that I was walking on didn’t feel the same.

My guess is that you maybe feeling under too much pressure at work and/or at home. Often when we feel overstressed, it causes us to "shallow breathe" without realising we're doing it. The reason is that we tense up due to the pressure which also means we feel restricted in our breathing.

Once we start to shallow breathe it eventually brings on the symptoms you describe which are a state of panic rather than a full panic attack. Walking means you need more oxygen but if you're not breathing properly it would bring on these symptoms. Therefore, one possibilty that might help would be to focus on your breathing to ensure you're taking long deep breaths. See if that has any effect.:shrug:

mau
10-05-09, 03:52
My initial thoughts are that you have an inner ear problem.

This site>>>>http://www.retirement-matters.co.uk/gparchive/ears.htm may shed some light.:hugs: