PDA

View Full Version : Paxil, Panic, Rationalism.

Richard25
10-05-09, 21:08
Hi all,

This is not my first post...but to introduce myself to anyone I havent encountered before...My name is Richard, I am 25 years old and started suffering from panic attacks about 6 months ago...BAD! Had 16 medical visits including many trips to the e.r and caridologist...They found nothing. But still I spent every day thinking I was either having or about to have a heart attack. I carried xanax with me at all times and was a complete mess.

So...About a month ago my new doctor (I felt my last one thought I was wasting his time) started me on paxil. So far it has been going really well! I have not been to the e.r since, I have been having very little chest pain (before I was having chest pain and numbness in my left arm constantly) and am doing pretty well.

This week has been a little tougher, my girlfriend is away and other than her my nearest loved one is in england, not a good distance to be away for a person with panic disorder...But, instead of flipping out and letting some minor anxiety that I have been having spin out of control I am taking control.

Little things like writing this, even if nobody reads it..at least it's a rational response to the bit of anxiety I have been having. Also, listening to the doctors. I know well that most of us on here have been told many times that there is nothing wrong with us, but yet we think the doctors are missing something. I know what its like to be told your fine and get angry because I think they are not giving me the treatment I need. But I am trying to trust them and understand that me googling things like 'sudden death of 25 year old' and 'heart attack post stress test' are far less reliable than my doctor.

I dont really have any point here...Just trying to write a positive thread and trying to start being optomistic. I feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I used to teach scuba diving for a living, for the past 6 months I've barely been able to go on a boat! That will be my last step in my recovery, finish the treatment, and go swim with some sharks again :)

suzy-sue
10-05-09, 21:53
Hi Richard,and well done for taking control.Its nice to read such a positive post. Keep it up ! and im sure it wont be too long before your swimming with the sharks again. :scared15: Wishing you all the best with your recovery Luv Sue