PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Citalopram

Jo.1981
11-05-09, 11:18
I started suffering from panic attacks really bad, I was put on citalopram along with regular CBT i started to overcome them. In the last 6 months I have felt so much better, I have gotten married and even been abroad on holiday (considering I could hardly leave the house these are massive steps) so I decided to come off the citalopram.

I went to the doc and it was decided to cut my meds so I was taking it every second day (I was already on 10mg so reducing the dose was not an option) felt pretty crap for the 10 days I was doing this however when I stopped altogether I felt fine no problems what so ever. Anyway after 6 days of not taking anything I was hit with really bad dizzyness on the 7 day and felt horrible. On the 8th day (today) my stomach started playing up big time my IBS kicked off and all the physical symptoms I have spent the last 18 months getting over came flooding back. I am hoping desperatly that this is just withdrawal, I don't want to go back on the citalopram.

Anyone else been through similar.

NoPoet
11-05-09, 11:33
Hi, sounds like the dreaded withdrawal syndrome! The side effects usually pass before too long. You should consider taking 5mg of citalopram a day by cutting your tablet in half. I wouldn't recommend suddenly stopping them, as citalopram is an SSRI and they are legendary for causing problems if you go cold turkey. It can take weeks or months to taper off a course of citalopram -- certainly not a few days!

On the up side, congratulations for overcoming your problems and doing all the wonderful things you have done. It is very inspiring!

PoppyC
11-05-09, 13:24
Hi Jo :)
You wrote that all the physical symptoms have come back - have all the reasons why you took them in the first place gone - anxiety, depression?
If it is just the physical symptoms then it sounds like withdrawal effects which will eventually pass.
Congratulations on getting married and getting better.:yesyes:
I hope you get over the withdrawal symptoms and continue to feel better.

Jo.1981
11-05-09, 13:37
My panic attacks used to really effect my IBS having an attack of either one would set off the other. Since I started feeling better they both settled down having problems with one didn't automatically mean it would bring on the other. I can not honestly remember my last full blown panic attack although I still have problems with my IBS and am very prone to stomach bugs. This morning I woke up feeling a little crappy pressumed it was my IBS, got to work and felt the panic coming on which just made my stomach so much worse which made the panic worse, just what used to happened.

Actually just off the phone with the doc, she thinks I should go back on the citalopram :( Been sitting thinking aboout it and it actually makes sense. I'm feeling massivly guilty for not being at work and feeling like a failure all things I thought I had gotten over. Will give them another couple of months and try again. I refuse to let these things run my life.