PDA

View Full Version : Older Tricyclic Drugs?

FRANKIEISBACK
24-08-05, 19:38
any one any experience of imipramine, clomipramine?

My Psyc is thinking of giving these a go if my lustral doesnt help.

She says the ssri drug family have had success with some people but most psychiatrists use tricyclics especially for severely depressed people, I have had a look on the web and it appears theya re possibly stronger but do have more side effects.

kate
24-08-05, 19:55
Hi Frankie.

When I first had depression some 20 plus years ago and also when I had PND 13 years ago, I was on Prothiaden which is also tricylic.

I had very good results on this drug with no side effects when going on it or stopping.

Kate x

FRANKIEISBACK
24-08-05, 20:44
Thanks kate, I know a friend who did well on that one, she used to call them her majic red smarties, helped her sleep as well.

kate
24-08-05, 22:09
Yes, they were like red smarties!

Kate x

Antipodes
28-08-05, 07:23
Hi,

I took these for about three years. They are a weight gainer so I recommend you pay particular attention to your diet (and exercise if you can keep up the motivation) or you might pile on the 20kg+ weight, like me (all gone now :- )). They were good for keeping me asleep as long as I could get to sleep (in the first place). Also left me a bit sleepy / dopey on getting up but it soon wore off.

Medications are a tricky business and it's hard to find the right one (and the right dose). Doesn't sound like your psychiatrist is too sure ("giving them a go").

I hope this helps. Good luck in your journey to wellness.

Antipodes

FRANKIEISBACK
28-08-05, 11:30
She is really cool, I get the felling she doesnt much use the newer ones.