PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rates

bananarbabe
02-01-04, 20:26
Happy new year everyone! I don't know if I'm worrying about something that's natural or if I have a reason to be concerned. I have noticed that my resting heart rate is good 70-80 when I'm at rest, but when I do something simple like walk downstairs to get a drink, my heart rate races to 110 beats per minute. I'm really terrified about this. In terms of other symptoms, they're not really stressing me out, its just this one. Please help!

Chris

sadie
02-01-04, 20:46
Hi Chris,

From my own personal experience, the more that you focus on how fast your heart is beating, the faster it actually beats..so you are probably more aware of its every beat and therefore causing it to beat faster when you are a bit more active. Does this make sense?

I find thats exactly what happens to me too but the less I think about it the slower it beats....

There are lots of people on this forum who worry about this, so have a read at the different messages and you will realsie that the symptoms you are experiencing are very common and will eventually become less prominent.

take care

sadie

benoo5
02-01-04, 21:17
hi chris,

sadie,is so right,as our emotions can affect our pulse rate..if we think relaxing thoughts,listen to beautiful music,have a nice long bath with candle light...our pulse rate will decrease...on the other hand,if were anxious,rush around,even sitting down,thinking what if this happens,what if that happens,all this can increase our pulse rate.

best to ignore it,if you can,and you will find that it soon rectifies itself..best wishes..bryan.

uryjm
02-01-04, 23:11
My normal heart-rate is the same as yours, about 70-80 a minute. On the exercise bike in the gym, I've noticed that almost as soon as I start peddling my heart rate jumps to about 110 almost immeadaitely. It then takes some time to get it up to around 140, by which time I'm quite breathless, but I can maintain 170 a minute for some time - then the sweat is really dripping off me though! So I would say what you're heart is doing is pretty normal. It revs up quite quickly even with light exertion.

Jim

bananarbabe
03-01-04, 04:07
Thanks for the posts everyone, they have definately helped me keep things in perspective. Does this usually mean that I'm out of shape though?

Chris

sadie
03-01-04, 11:01
Hi Chris,

No not necessarily...your heart beats quicker due to your background anxiety as we mentioned before, thats all. But what do you do for exercise though? By doing some form of exercise actually helps stabilise your heart rate, as it demolishes the stress hormones 'swimming' around your body...I hope this makes sense...Im have just got up!!!

Try and keep your mind active by doing something and dont allow your mind to wander off thinking about your heart etc..

Take care

sadie