PDA

View Full Version : When do we know if something is REALLY wrong!!!

angie3077
25-08-05, 14:53
Hi guys....I have not posted for such a long time, not that I havent been reading the posts from everybody elst though.....its just I have been doing quite well myself and have not really needed to post.......UNTIL NOW!!!
The thing is ...my mind is running away with itself again and I am sitting here at work feeling really funny and starting to get really anxious, I have not felt this way in such a long time so what I am thinking is .....its not the anxiety or worry thing...its something really[Sigh...] BAD!
I am feeling really jittery and itching all over and my breathing has become faster(as usual) but the other symptons like the itching and feeling wobbly on my feet are really getting to me!!!!!:( I have allsorts running through my mind!!!!
I hate getting like this but what I am worried about is if it is something worse and I am just thinking (and in a way hoping its just my nerves) as when it doesnt happen for such a long time i find it hard to beleive that its just pops up again! Ohhhhhhhh I know I am babbling too....sorry I think when I get like this I am such a pain in the a**!
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Angie x

Meg
25-08-05, 15:00
Slow your breathing down over a period of a few minutes and then assess the other symptoms.

If the breathing is usual for you then even if the itching isn't, its not a lifethreatening issue so you have time to assess and treat.

Concentrate on what you need to do now to make yourself feel better, not on what it might - or more likely - might not be.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
25-08-05, 15:28
Hi Angie,

Sometimes I've wondered if it's better to have moderate anxiety all the time because when I have good spells I forget just how horrible I feel when my anxieties bad. Then if it does come again I'm back to thinking is this a serious illness cos I forgot how the symptoms felt.

Did that make any sense at all??

Love Piglet:)

ItWillPass
25-08-05, 16:13
Piglet I TOTALLY agree with what you said...Ill go months feeling great... Then something will happen, and Ill get all the panic symptoms again, and I will freak out all over again... Ill think to myself ok this CANNOT possibly be panic... I got rid of that! Its very hard... Angie I am in the same boat as you... Sometimes it just comes on, and I have no idea why. Usually I just go to the dr. to make sure nothing serious is wrong... then I just say ok its back... and deal. Its so hard though...Sometimes it just helps to know u arnt alone in this...

eeyorelover
25-08-05, 19:08
well for me - I would rather have more good days and less of the days when the anxiety lasts all day (sometimes for days at a time). But when I do have a few days with no symptoms it helps me that I keep a journal. When I am feeling any symptoms I write down exactly how I am feeling and what I am thinking. I don't know why but it has helped me to keep my panic somewhat under control to be able to go back through what I have written and realize that I got through it then and I will get through it again. I have noticed that since I have been doing that, the symptoms I have aren't as severe.
I don't know if that makes sense or not but it's just a thought.
your friend,
Sandy
eeyorelover

henri
25-08-05, 22:21
hey angie,
i have often wondered this. i think that i know it's anxiety because the symptom will usually be something i've experienced before. also, the fact that these symptoms come and go show that it's just anxiety - if it was something worse i don't think the symptoms would let up at all.
it's annoying when the panic comes back to haunt us but just think how much more freaked out you were the first time it hit, and how well equipped you are to deal with it these days.
hope you have a better day tomorrow,
henri x

pinkscrumpy
26-08-05, 00:31
Hi Piglet

I totally agree with you too but..

Hi eeyore

because I can have a few good days and forget what symptoms I have had I think I will keep a journal like you, so that I can look back and put my mind at ease when they start again

thanks

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

angie3077
26-08-05, 21:17
Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for all your replies.....they have helped me.
Henri....you are so right when you say about how much easeier it is to deal with than the first time but the fear never really goes.....as with me I always have that niggerly thought at the back of my mind thinking ....what if!!!!
Anyway I have had a little bit of a better day today....some aches and pains that have freaked me out.....theres always something...I feel like a real hypocondriac (hope I spelt that right!)
After I posted yesterday the symptons subsided a little so I really beleive that sometimes just letting it all out and moaning on to you guys makes it easier[:X]
And yes the journal idea is fantastic...I used to do something similar but once you think things have got better it is very easy to stop all the things that have got you so far....and what do you know.....back to square one! I have to remember that this will never really go away completly and do whatever it is I need to do to help my anxiety/panic disorder and stick at it!
Thanks again
Angie
x

Laurie28
29-08-05, 12:07
I know this feeling so well !!

What if this time it isn't a panic attack and I really can't breath, what if, what if what if,

I just had to talk myself down from it ie. If I couldn't breath I would't be walking etc etc

a truly horrid feeling - but it does get better

L

roachford
31-08-05, 10:51
Hi everyone,

I'm reading all of the replies with great interest as I'm slap bang in the middle of a pretty bad time too. I'm trying desperately to convince myself that the symptoms I'm suffering are panic related but I just cant seem to get my head round it. I'm sure that there must be some underlying cause thats sinister......

My rational brain is saying that if there was something really wrong, then I'd be having more serious symptoms than a grumbling digestive system, but my irrational brain is running riot causing me all sorts of negative thoughts.

This is really terrible....

pennyroyaletea
31-08-05, 12:13
Something I'm trying at the moment is similar to what has been mentioned earlier in this discussion. My doctor advised me to keep a daily well-ness rating, so if it's a day where I feel horribly taken over with anxiety and/or depression I'd give it a very low rating, but if it's one of those freaky ones where you sail through you give it an 8 or a 9 maybe. If you do this you can look back at your week and perhaps link in any of the things that were happening around you to how you are feeling. It helps you realise that sometimes the anxiety attacks aren't so random afterall, and more likely to be triggered by either a build of a few hectic days at work or at home, or a few days before pay day etc etc.

cam
04-09-05, 03:02
im finding it hard to take in that so many other people feel the same way i do and its helping so much. but i know exactly what you mean. what if its not anxiety. im going through the same right now. hang in there it will get better[^]

Quirky
04-09-05, 15:58
Angie,
I know how you feel on this issue too. I sometimes have breathing problems for instance but I also have asthma, so if I can't breathe I tell myself it's anxiety but my mind says what if this time you're ignoring a serious asthma attack. Of course I wouldn't miss an asthma attack but the mind tricks you. It works with other symptoms too, I may feel dizzy from anxiety but think maybe this time it is caused by something much worse. I often think I will dismiss something as anxiety and it will turn out to be something worse that I will ignore, you're not alone.
LJ