PDA

View Full Version : Time for a trip abroad?!

MissiD
13-05-09, 16:00
Hi all

I've read a lot of posts on here from people who have been about to embark on a trip away and have had huge respect for them, having sympathised with how they have been feeling and offered encouragement & reassurance that everything will be ok. Having said all that I now find myself feeling nervous and unsure about making a short trip to see relatives in Sweden. I haven't flown for over a year, since a pre-arranged holiday to Portugal last April when my panic & anxiety was in full flow! It was the hardest thing that I have ever done & although I got there & had a better time than I expected I still find myself getting nervous about the travelling in general & that whole being away from home scenario :wacko:

Things are definately much improved since then and I live a pretty much 'normal' life day to day but doing something like this is a massive thing and although I haven't even booked it yet I'm already getting nervous.... although admittedly there is a little excitement there too as I really want to be able to make trips like this without thinking about them. I feel I'm ready to tackle this but it doesn't mean my apprehension is any less.

I guess I'm interested to hear if anyone has any advice or tips to turn my anxiety into excitement?? :unsure:

Thank you
Mel x

Gregor
14-05-09, 15:13
Hi Mel,

I'm interested to hear your plans and i think you should definitely go. Hopefully i can offer some positive ideas for you.

Myself i made a huge trip overseas about 18 months ago, from London to Peru! at the time i was at one of the lowest possible points of my anxiety and i did it all alone. It was without doubt the hardest thing i've ever had to do, but also i regard as my greatest ever achievement. I still look back on it and remember how fantastic i did. However, i also recognise it wasnt without it's problems.

Now, like you, i am about to embark on another trip - returning from Peru to London (yes, i'm still overseas now 18 months on!). I have actually booked my flight ticket and will be coming home on 5th June.

Unlike the last time, though, i am feeling much better with my anxiety. Still not perfect, but after a year in therapy i am feeling as good as i have for a long time.

I admit to feeling apprehension with making the trip, but i'm not nearly as nervous as i was last time. Here's what i'm doing and what's helping me manage my situation effectively:

1. I've mapped out exactly what i need to do to make the trip a success
2. I've written down everything i need - ie, flight tickets, train tickets, hotel, etc
3. I've booked the above mentioned tickets, etc
4. I've thought about and worked out every eventuality of what i need to do, where i need to go, things i need to take.
5. I've done all this well in advance so not to overload my mind with so many thoughts.

I don't know if any of the above will make a lot of sense, but the general idea is to not allow any unexpected surprises. Make sure you know exactly what to expect and what's going to happen.

I can say - having got a definite date booked and everything (which is only 3 weeks from now) - that my anxiety levels are moderate related to this. I'm excited too about going home, but still some nerves exist. I need to tell myself that these are natural and just something everyone who travels by plane will experience anyway.

I hope all goes well for you.

Gregor

Lisa C
14-05-09, 16:24
Hi MissiD

After reading your post, I had to respond as it was like reading about myself last year and more recently about 7 weeks ago.

I was asked to go on my boyfriend's brothers girlfriends hen weekend. I was so excited until I found out it would be abroad. I was given all the details and paid my money as I didnt want to let her down.

Anyway, I had to wait about 9 months before it was time to go and as the time got nearer I found myself becoming more nervous.

I had a think about it and its not the flying that makes me nervous its the thought that I cant get off if I wanted to and I was soo scared that I would have a panic attack whilst in the air, as I would have no where to escape to. Also, I was afraid that if I had a bad experience on the flight over I would then be too scared to get on the plane to come home!

Even at the airport I was really nervous, it was eased a little by a note I found from my boyfriend in my passpost telling me to be brave and that he knew I could do it.

Anyway, the long and short of it was even though I was so scared of getting on the plane I was more scared that if I didnt get on the plane, I would start avoiding situations that made me panic in the future. Dont get me wrong I was uneasy on the plane and had to squezze my friends hand for the entire journey but I tried to do things that took my mind off it such as take my dvd player and watch some friends.

When I got off at the other end, I was so proud of myself that I could actually relax on the holiday and whilst I was nervous coming back, I was so happy that I had done it!

So no real tips here I just wanted to share that even though it can be very difficult you can get through it and will feel so good about yourself after

Lisa xx

MissiD
14-05-09, 20:58
Thank you both so much for your replies. It really does help to hear that despite feeling anxious and nervous (as I am currently feeling) that you both still went ahead with your trips and that they were ultimately positive experiences!

Being prepared and planning everything in advance is something I will definately need to do. I've previously travelled a lot for work & it's always been stressful & rushed. In fact airports were where my anxiety attacks started! I need to remember that I can take my time & that the trip is for pleasure rather than for work & just to relax (easier said than done).

Some days I feel positive and enthusiastic about making the trip & other days I wonder if I really can do it. I know I have to hold on to those positive thoughts.
Thank you again :)

Mel x

eternally optimistic
14-05-09, 21:54
Hi

I wish you well with the trip and keep hold of those positive thoughts, Mel.

Good luck.

MissiD
26-05-09, 21:09
Well I've taken the first step & booked flights! Feeling a mixture of excitement & anticipation but at the moment it's not bothering me too much, although I've not really had time to think about it. Hoping this feeling continues......:unsure:
Mel x