PDA

View Full Version : Formal introduction

bananarbabe
02-01-04, 20:46
Hi everyone,

I've actually posted on this site already but I never noticed there was a place to introduce yourself to the group :-). My name is Chris and I'm 22 years old. I had my first panic attack a little over a month ago. I didn't know what was going on so I ended up at the ER where they told me that I just had a panic attack. When I flew back home for the holidays, I was alright but then when I went back to school for finals (I'm a grad student) I started having panic attacks again.

I'm on some medication right now and I'm not sure if its working. The idea of side effects scare me but I noticed that I'm not having full blown panic attacks as frequently. One thing I'm worried about is my heart and that I may have been misdiagnosed. I had an EKG done when I had my first panic attack and it came out normal. I've also had blood tests for my thyroid, clotting, and a third one and all of those came up normal. I've gotten so self conscious that I'm always checking my pulse.

I'm also seeing a psychologist too. Although, I haven't been meeting with him on a regular basis because I've been out of town for the holidays and also finals. I've also been reading some books about panic attacks with the hopes of learning more about anxiety. I feel that by reading more about it I can have as close to a "logical explaination" as to what's going on with me. I've seen this is somewhat helping.

I totally appreciate the help I've been getting. It's helped me immensely in reminding me that I'm not alone.

benoo5
02-01-04, 22:46
hi chris,and welcome.

your obviously living in the states,as you mention having an ekg...it seems from what you say,that your getting good medical treatment,and it looks very much like you are suffering from anxiety.

this is a very good site,full of caring ,friendly people,so read as much of the information provided here,and use the search facility at the top right of the page,any questions...just ask,theres always someone here....best wishes ..bryan.

sadie
02-01-04, 22:56
Hi Chris,

When I read your message, I could identify everything you wrote with how I felt when I first starting having Panic attacks...the constant worrying about my heart, checking my pulse constantly and finding myself at the accident and emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack.

The truth is Chris, all the symptoms and behaviours you have mentioned are all due to anxiety and Panic attacks, nothing more. The fact that you have had lots of different tests done which have came back clear..is great news!!

You will definetly benefit heaps from this forum..I have only been a member now for approx 2mths and I cant tell you how much it has helped me.

Keep us informed on how you are feeling, what worries you etc and we will help you feel better.

Take care

sadie