PDA

View Full Version : Is it a panic attack?

Nutmeg
14-05-09, 10:20
Hi,

My usual panic attacks are the stereotypical, dizzy, nausea, hyperventilating etc I end up in tears and it's pretty obvious what's happening.

However recently I've had very few panic attacks but I keep getting this overwhelming scared feeling. I feel pertrified and glued in place. I still get dizzy and feel sick but I don't hyperventilate. In fact sometimes I forget to breath and when it passes I realise I've been holding my breathe.

Is this a panic attack as well. When it comes on I'm so scared I just get this feeling that something really bad is going to happen. It's only been going on a week but I'm fed up of feeling scared.

amandaj
14-05-09, 13:21
it does sound like anxiety and panic attacks but always best to get checked out by the dr for your own peace of mind , hope you feel better soon
amandax

Panickypants
14-05-09, 18:26
This is what happens to me yes.. It's the anxiety..I very rarely hyperventilate x

justbananas
15-05-09, 15:33
i get that.. it lasts a few seconds and passes. it almost feels like i CAN'T move.. and definitely am not breathing when it happens. sometimes i have to physically move to force myself out of it.

shaz36
15-05-09, 18:29
hi nutmeg

i suffer from similar symptoms but they last quite a while and usually result in fainting, the breathing part is normal and is caused by taking in to much air at the start, this is subconscious, then when your lungs are todally full you then start hyperventilating as a result which starts all the physical symptom. It a vicious circle. Best advice i have been given so far is diomaphratic breathing, its hard to do to begin with and during a panic attack it a lot more difficult but it will force your heart rate to lower.

If anyone wants to chat i would love to here from you, i have also started CBT therapy and councelling so if i can help anyone else just ask.

i get all classic symptoms as well as cramping and muffled ears.

x

Valka
16-05-09, 02:48
Sounds very similar to my panic attacks. I don't hyperventilate when I get them, but I get an impending sense of doom, dizziness, horrible taste in my mouth, tingling/numbness in my limbs and want to either freeze up or run away. A sense of impending doom is a really common symptom of panic attacks.

purplehaze
16-05-09, 05:47
Panic attacks come in all shapes and forms and this does sound like one.

But remember nothing bad is going to happen to you

melody
16-05-09, 06:57
hi,

that's been my life 4 over 7 years. I want to do what they say is good 4 me, but I can't get out of my damn chair. I hate self & cry. Sometimes I win over it & it feels good. Often it beats me. Guilt tears me apart. You can only do your best :) Don't let the damn chair win, OK? It feels much better if u can win 4 a change :)

Yours kindly,

Melody

Nutmeg
16-05-09, 13:39
Thanks, I think the reason it bothers me is that it feels different! I really hate change so when something changes it upsets me!

shaz36
16-05-09, 14:04
one of the things i always to at the end of a PA is cry. I think this is caused by the relief that it is over. The latest advice i have been given by my doctor and also a BUPA consultant this morning is to stop trying to fight that attacks. If you can lie down somewhere safe so that if you faint you don't hurt yourself and just relax into the attack. This sounds scary and i did it for the first time on thursday and it actually was quite empowering.
It was scary to begin with but the idea behind it is that a PA is a learned behaviour, your body get familiar with the process and wants to fast track you from a-z in the fastest way possible. If you try and fight it all the way the anxiety and panic is heightened as you get into a fight with your body, whereas the idea that you just say "way hay what the hell do what you like" and let it happen changeds the fear element of them and will, even just a little bit, make you more relaxed.

Now saying all that, this is something i am just starting to explore so might not be as easy or as effective as it sounds btu i am willing to try anything.

xxx