PDA

View Full Version : Its Back Again....

garethjambo
26-08-05, 02:37
Hi Guys, Was searching around the internet when I found this forum, seems that people are in similar situations as me.

In the past I have suffered from depression (although it wasnt diognosed, I didnt go to the docter about it, as I felt that I didnt want to go on any medication). About 7 months ago, I was going through a part of my life which appeared to stress me out a lot more than usual. I was in my last year at university, and had really bad money problems. I used to worry so much about uni and poor finances that It gave me bad headaches and made me generally feel unwell. At the point I thought I then had a serious disease. I was suffering from a variety of symptoms:

headaches, sore jaw, pins and needles, sore back and neck, general flu symptoms, loss of appetite etc (loads more but I cant remember them all!).

Anyway, it all turned out to not be what I thought It was (I was told that It was all stress). Most of the symptoms dissapeared (apart from pins and needles which I got from time to time). Recently I have finished uni, and I am still in severe financial difficulties. The symptoms appear to have come back again, and I also have sore spots on my forehead, I cant help think that again I have someting, but deep down I am sure it is just anxiety, but I feel I am in a hole and just cannot get out. I seem to be worrying about EVERYTHING (even the littlest of things) and wake up a nervous wreck!. I also fear the worst, and think I am going to die.

Sorry If I am rambling on here, but I need some advice from someone as I dont feel I can turn to anyone else.

Regards,

Gareh.

~Mary~
26-08-05, 04:46
Hello, I'm sorry you feel so terrible. I suffer with something a little different (panic disorder) but my father suffers with anxiety problems too and has many health problems becuase of it. Sometimes he is convinced that he has something really wrong with him and other times he thinks its just from his anxiety and emotional issues, sometimes both. It's hard to watch him struggle with it, so I know kinda how difficult it is.

My best advice is to see a doctor. You really should. See a phyciatrist AND see a doctor who will look at your physical problems. Then between the two of them, (maybe working together, my dad recieved help from both at the same clinic) they can figure out how much of it is really physical and how much is just your anxiety. Which, in itself is physical and there is medicine. I didnt want to have to be on medication either, but it does help me. Well, i know that wasnt the greatest advice of all time, haha but just wanted to let you know, that it is hard, but you'll get through it.

much love & best wishes,

~*~MaRy

Gareth
26-08-05, 08:55
Hello there namesake,

Not only do you have my name, but it sounds like you suffer from similar symptoms to me...! Anxiety first hit me when I finished uni - it was a period of massive uncertainty, financial difficulty, upheaval and stress. I used to get dizzy, unsteady on my feet, pressure on my forehead, sore neck, loss of appetite... I used to think I had CJD! I was convinced I was seriously ill. I wasn't.

As I settled into my new life I lost my anxiety symptoms over time. I will always be a "worrier" but with a better life, the symptoms subsided. I then lived for 9 years without a problem.

However, I found that the symptoms returned with a vengeance earlier this year, following two years of extreme stress - marriage, redundancy, house moves, problem neighbours, family problems etc. I have developed proper anxiety and depression as a result, but I am sure, like last time, it will get better.

What you have to remember is that all of this just from one thing - WORRY. The words anxiety and stress, they are really just worry. Worry is a normal human reaction, and you are normal, but what is happening to you right now is INAPPROPRIATE, an inappropriate level of worry to your situation. Your body responds directly to what your mind is doing - that is its job, and that is why you feel physically ill as well as full of worry.

I'm afraid that the route out is to do what I imagine you find it quite hard to do- RELAX. I have been working on this myself and its amazing how hard I find it to give myself time to do nothing but relax.

It will do you a lot of good to read around this site, reassure yourself that you are not physically ill, you are just worried more than you should be right now.

A great book is Self help for your nerves by Claire Weekes. Lots of people here have found great comfort from it. Also getting yourself a good relaxation CD, like something by Glenn Harrold, and putting aside at least 30 mins EVERY SINGLE DAY to perform some form of deep relaxation, will also help.

PM me if you want to chat more,

be well,
Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

garethjambo
26-08-05, 18:50
Thanks guys, It is good to be able to find people that I can actually talk to about it. It amazed me when I looked down the symptoms forum, and realised that I had most of those symptoms, which in a way is reassuring to me, because I KNOW it is more than likely just anxiety again, but you always have the thought in the back of your head that you may have something serious. Once a symptom goes, then another seems to rear its ugly head!!.

removed
26-08-05, 21:04
Hi
Can I just direct you all to "fear of tumour" posted by sensei_deano and all posts following on from that which I contributed to?
I think you will find the content rings a bell.
Hope you find it helpful
Janet c :)