PDA

View Full Version : Checking body all the time

shirtie86
14-05-09, 15:10
Hi I posted on these forums before xmas about chest pains and I got alot of helpful advice and reassurance and it helped alot :). Ive always suffered with anxiety but in 2007 I had a breakdown and have been recovering from it ever since. Its been an up and down affair but last month I managed to get into university and start in September which im worrying myself silly about. I just wondering if anyone else is like me and keeps checking there body for rashes or anything out the ordinary ? any pain I get I worry any type of rash I get I worry to the point where im to scared to leave the flat its like im constanly checking myself. My girlfriend is in her last 6 weeks of uni and I dont want to keep asking her to check if everything is ok shes stressed enough as it is and I feel stupid asking all the time just want it to go away :(

Paul

wiskersonkittens
14-05-09, 15:16
Paul, my heart goes out to you. Yes, I do! Right now I am going through a rather confusing and scary time and I am doing it more than ever. I am checking for lymph nodes, my weight, my temperature, my pulse when I don't feel that great, and so forth. It is an obsession, making sure everything is the way it has been.

I wish I had a remedy for it -- I do it under severe stress and when my body is acting up. Eventually, I stop, but I don't know how or why.

What is it you are afraid of? Do you have any evidence that this fear is valid, or will actually happen? Maybe that will be a good starting point -- analyzing your thoughts and not your body. I think I better practice what I preach, eh? No better time than the present . . :)

Hugs, Wiskers ~

shirtie86
14-05-09, 15:29
Hey
Im not to sure what im afraid of I remember when I had a allergic recation to some antibiotics I was on and came out in a hudge rash was raised and was horrible since then ive been scared of that happening again. I guess im afraid of something happening and ending up in hospital something silly like that always been a big fear of mine also went through a stage of beliving I had a brain tumor aswell, these thoughts have been around for so long seems forever I can never seem to shift it completely.

jdgeary1
14-05-09, 21:39
Hey,

I am suffering/have suffered from similar problems. I am always checking myself, my biggest phobia is my blood pressure. I went to the Doctors ages ago and had a high blood pressure reading, that then set off the anxiety and panic attacks in the first place. So now I am stuck with taking my blood pressure. The stupid thing is, is that I know that in reality my blood pressure readings are just a consequence of me worrying, but its a visicious circle. I worry, my BP goes up, I then worry more.

I think you will find that you seem to be hyper sensitive to every thing that you feel, or at least thats the way I am. The slightest pain, rash, mark, in fact anything you will notice. My counsellor tells me to ignore them, sometimes you can, sometimes you cant. Its hard sometimes to be strong and really ignore certain things that may be causing you to worry. Your always thinking the worse.

All I can say, is your not alone.

bottleblond
14-05-09, 22:04
Paul

Well done in managing uni, that is a fantastic step forward and you should be extremely proud of yourself.

I had a horrid case of urticaria a while back where i would wake up in the morning to swollen eyes and lips. My skin was a mass of blistery rashes and i was a mess. I was in and out of the emergency doctor based at our local hospital like a yoyo until i found a doctor who put me on a combination of medications that relieved it.

Even though i know my mediactions work, i still wake up in the morning with the fear that a part of my face is swollen and every time i have a slight itch, i am off to the mirror to investigate.

I had a trigger to my problem but i know many others don't and i really do sympathise.

Just thought i'd let you know that i understand how you feel and i hope you are not alone.

Take care
Lisa
xx

shirtie86
15-05-09, 11:54
Thank you so much for the replies really helped knowing im not the only one can feel so lonley sometimes with these feelings

Dawnio87
15-05-09, 14:18
Hi Paul,

I know exactly how you feel, i'm going through something really similar at the moment, i'm constantly worried about my weight/blood pressure. The slightest ache or pain can send me into a full attack, and its awful, i literally feel like im dying and it got so bad i just felt i couldnt cope. My doctor started me on cipralex almost four weeks ago and im still trying to just manage to take one day at a time. I'm in my final year of uni at the moment also, and i felt meds were necessary to get me through the final stages as i didnt wanna mess up my hard work. My current results make it likely that i will graduate with a 2.1 so dont lose heart, you can do anything you want to do, and university will be great for preoccupying you with other things and hopefully in time that will help, congratulations on getting in.

I was just wondering if anyone else here whose main anxieties are health related are on cipralex and do they find its working? Im still relatively panicky so am undecided but then again its only been almost 4 weeks, plus the side effects are quite hard on me, nausea, headaches, fatigue, muscle twitches etc. But if it will help then ill definitely perservere. By the way this is my first post on nomorepanic so im sorry if its too long/repetative, im still getting the hang of it! lol.

Dawn xo

LittleMac
15-05-09, 14:27
im the same im constantly checking my lymph nodes (neck, armpits, groin) and to see if my spleen is enlarged, they never seem to change sometimes i find new ones which worries me more but chances are they were always there.

As ive said doctors have checked them a month ago n i get my family to check them to see if theyve changed, which they claim haven't why cant i believe them lol, its stupid.

it doesn't reassure me so why do i do it ? whats the point?

Emmalou44
21-05-09, 20:15
Hi all,

I am also in the same boat. I too check my weight, lymph nodes and now Ive started checking my mouth all the time. The things I worry about the most are my weight and lymph nodes. I found some enlarged ones in my neck and groin and now im obsessed with checking them. The doctors have all said they are fine and my blood tests are clear but somehow I still cant believe them. Its driving my boyfriend mad as Im always wanting to compare mine to his until he reminds me that we are all different.

Does anyone else have a strange metallic taste in their mouth, a havy chest after eating that makes them want to cough, enlarged tonsils and sore patches on the sides of their tongue??

Good luck all x x x