PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Breathing?

sMINT
14-05-09, 16:43
For the past 4 days now I have had the same feeling in my lungs and it has been there from when I wake up till when I go to bed at night. No break in between. Just a constant pressure on my chest.

The only way I can describe what the feeling is, is that it feels like a mix between feeling breathless and the feeling of my lungs being already 3/4 full and I can only take in 1/4 of air but I need more.

The only way I can remotely feel normal is when I take a big sigh. But I cant go around sighing every 2 minutes.

Would you say this is anxiety? or something else? I mean i've had it for 4 days continuous. Is there a way I can get rid of it if it is anxiety, Ive tried exercise but that makes me worse.

Thanks

Captain America
14-05-09, 17:35
i do get this, but not for such long periods.

i'm not a doctor let me say first of all, but it sounds like your diaghram is 'locked'. i had a physical therapist use that term on me when he checked me out. he said to practice breathing by putting a hand on my stomach and making sure that my hand is going up and down while i'm breathing, a little slower than normal but not like 'deep' breathing or anything. i do that now when i get that feeling and do find that i'm not using my diaghram. i mean, i am, but not well. it's like when my stomach is full and bloated i can't breathe very well. seems to block things up around that area.

the diaghram is the muscle that pulls the air into the lungs. and since it is a muscle it's susceptible (sp?) to anxiety, etc. it can tighten up like anything else.

if you do some of the diaghramatic breathing (remember it doesn't have to be extremely slow or anything) and it doesn't resolve check with a dr. maybe he has some other things you can do.

sMINT
14-05-09, 18:32
Yeah this is the first time Ive had it for such long periods. Im used to it going after a few hours :(

I will have to try this, I dont think I use my diaphragm very well atm. My stomach hardly moves so perhaps this is the cause.

Thanks for the advice

xBettyBoopx
11-06-09, 03:16
OMG I am getting this so much lately:weep: I think I'm even doing it without knowing!!

Anxious people usually breathe with their upper chest rather than from the diaphram, which is what causes it apparently. But I deliberately now make sure that I am breathing with my diaphram but still getting it. I suppose walking around all day sighing isn't going to hurt as I live alone:huh: :unsure:

I wish I could buy one of those small tape recorders & put it on my pillow so I can hear how I breathe when I'm asleep, if I don't do it in my sleep then I'll be reassured that it's tension. Hmmmmmmmmm now where to find one of them lil tape recorders that don't cost much money.........lol.:blush: :blush:

xBettyBoopx
11-06-09, 03:27
Oh I googled:blush: :blush: :blush: But it's ok:D :D

Found this quite interesting:

We sigh for the same reason we yawn but backwards. Yawning means you needed more air in your body. Sighing is the sign you have too much and you need to let some air out. Sometimes it increases very little to a lot depending if you held your breath or not breathing enough.
Source(s):

"The body" channel

Els

ps - So our bodies really do work the right way for us, it's just us seeing it as a 'bad' thing.