PDA

View Full Version : MRI scan results mmmm!

countrygirl
14-05-09, 19:52
Not sure if I should be freaking or not. I had a head mri because a few months ago I developed a pulse sound in my left ear in time with my heart beat and also sudden intense feeling of pressure in my face - some days worse than others - lasts only a few seconds.
I had ultrasound of neck arteries that were very good no furring up at all:yesyes: but I was convinced that the facial pressure was because I had sinus cancer as you do:blush:
Sent for detailed mri of head and got results today. No brain tumour and ears and sinuses are perfect BUT I have little cysts in the bottom bit of brain the brain stem which are close to where the jugular artery enters brain and they could be affecting nerves in my skull that would transmit the sound or something like that. REcommended a high resolution ct scan to show up bones of skull in detail. SO Dr said this is a bit baffling - good news is they are not hard lumps so def not cancerous or anything they are def fluid filled cysts. I may had always had them but she is chasing up detailed resutls of a brain scan I had last summer to see if they scanned that part of my brain then, I would imagine they did so these cysts would be new:huh:
She said they are possibly an explanation for my ear pulse and she is sending the scan results to a neurosurgeon I have seen before. He can order the ct scan as well if he thinks its necessary.
she said he may just have a look and say so what or they may be a problem but given where they are its not a place you rummage around in:scared15:
so the wait begins as everything in NHS takes so long.
I keep telling myself that the good news is nothing else at all wrong but then it is a little worrying in case these cysts are something serious given where they are.
The Dr did point out that the more you look in a body the more things your find that are sometimes of no significance but you have to get further tests to find out - she said this is the reason for people not getting body scans.

On top of this I am perimenopausal with way out periods - went 4 motnhs period free and now into day 39 of the ongoing dribble as I call it.
Dr said not to worry as had this all 18mths ago and had tests and it is wonky hormones and had ultrasound of gyny bits less than 3 months ago and all was well/ BUT of course I am worrying and wished she had referred me to gyny for tests again. Now having to wait a few more weeks to see if dribble stops and if not then I will beg to be sent back to gyny.

lauren6
14-05-09, 20:47
If it's any consolation, my own doctor says he never gets MRIs because when you look. you find. I have had MRIs and Cat scans and I have liver cysts, kidney cysts, fatty tumors, you name it...all benign. Our bodies are full of cysts and the doctor told me this is so for everyone. So try to not worry about this. They have to do their job and refer to cover themselves (and be responsible...not all bad).

countrygirl
14-05-09, 21:30
Thanks Lauren for taking the trouble to reply - much appreciated. I am hoping its just another of the mri shows everything like your Dr said.

countrygirl
15-05-09, 20:14
I think my post has scared you all which is understandable given our problems.
My Dr rang me today to say that the neurosurgeon had got my scan results and will see them this afternoon and he will be in contact which is amazing timescale for NHS - mind you I might wait ages for him to get in touch of course.

Wee-Mee
15-05-09, 20:21
Hey there... I think you are very brave. You have a strength in your posts although you type that you are worried etc..That makes no sense but I know what I mean heh.

The scary thing is is that I get the same sort of thing you described! When I lie on my right side onmy ear,it is a muffled pulsating sound that goes with my beat and regular pulse,so..I'm now wondering ifit is the samy cyst things..I wouldn't dare get an mri though..those things terrify me and kudos for you again for being so brave love

xxxxxxxxxx

countrygirl
15-05-09, 22:15
Wee mee I don't think you need to worry as my pulse is there 24/7 - I know what you mean about getting the pulse if you lay on one side but this is very different to that and never ever goes away - I don't hear it if I am busy thinking or doing things but as soon as I listen its there.