PDA

View Full Version : When does cipralex kick in

chantelle
14-05-09, 22:54
Hi everyone

I have been on cipralex for 8 weeks, starting at 5mg for 2 weeks, then 10mg for 3 weeks and now 20 mg for 3 weeks.
I have made some progress - I am now sleeping all night but I still feel tense and low most of the time. I had my first ever depression last year and thought it was a one-off!!! I took citalopram but 6 months after I weaned off it I took depression again. I saw another dr & she said it was anxiety and to leave it for 2 wks without med - so that meant I had felt bad for over a month before I started cipralex.
I just feel as though I will never get my life back on track - any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have a family occassion to go to in a fortnights time and thought I'd be better long before then - now I'm not so sure...

thanks chantelle

alias_kev
15-05-09, 23:45
Hi. I've replied again on shrimp's thread but didn't want you/this post to feel ignored and ya did post yesterday.

Rereading your post, you've had some changes which is good. Otherwise it would have been a bit long without much benefit. Ah yes the NHS and its magic "two weeks", I've always been suprised that Arsenal's Eduardo wasn't sent home to see if his leg got better on its own! It may take a bit longer for the meds to make a difference. Its a sequence of changes even if they work, first chemical, then brain, then emotions. THEN we have to manage to change despite all our past feelings and experiences. Not being negatve - or don't mean to be - I just mean its not a quick journey.

On the whole you should find that the best days are better now. Its learning to manage the worse ones. The other thing about your family occasion is that its best NOT to worry about it. Easily said I know, but negative rehearsal is a very common trait and very limiting. Its one of the first mental behavours to try and beat. Some meds help more with this than others. Also it depends what the event is but sometimes its worth remembering that family doesn't own us and ought to be amongst the most supportive people around us. I realise this often isn't true BUT letting them get on top of you or force an anxiety crisis may not be the solution you need. Take Care.

chantelle
16-05-09, 21:06
Thanks Kevin

really low today - worst day ever!!! Feel I've hit rock bottom so the only way is up.

alias_kev
17-05-09, 00:38
Sad to hear that chantelle. Sometimes its the meds (sideeffects) or when you took it or what you ate. Sometimes its something life threw at you. I know every few days I start to feel better and someone dumps a problem or idea on me that knocks me back. Its a tough road we follow. Sometimes the anxiety just likes to do our heads in. It is a condition that can fluctuate a lot except when you are at rock bottom (ie. in total fear or continuous worry).

I haven't used the chat forum/service on here but I know some get a lot from it. I suspect I'd type too much. :winks:

Hope you feel a bit better soon. :flowers:

NoPoet
17-05-09, 00:44
Hi, the best thing in your post is that you have made some progress. This means your problems are not "treatment-resistant" so you should be able to recover without too many problems! :D

Keep going with the meds and make sure you talk about your problems - use Mind and the Samaritans for support and reassurance - if you're having side effects to your meds, gingko is believed to reduce side effects of citalopram so maybe it will help you with cipralex as well, but ask a pharmacist first!