PDA

View Full Version : nervous about having to work 2moro

henri
26-08-05, 18:58
hi everyone,
i'm a journalist and started having panic attacks about eight months ago. i quit my job at a newspaper so i could work freelance - basically so i wouldn't have to go into the office.
anyway, i've been asked to go in to do a shift on the newsdesk tomorrow. it's the most stressful day of the working week and i've got to research a story, find people to interview, write the article, all before around 1.30pm.
i know i could have turned it down but i need to take all the work i can and i sort of wanted to prove to myself that i can do it. but now i am totally freaking out about having to go and can already feel my anxiety symptoms creeping in.
just wanted to get that off my chest...any tips or hugs would be appreciated!
henri x

carlin
26-08-05, 19:46
Hi Henri,
I have no sound advice really but i do have a GREAT BIG HUG for you!!Thinking about what we have to do is sometimes worse than actually doing it, i have had quite a turbulent day, had to forget the panic and get on with it...now though i wonder how i did it...the same will happen tommorow for you, we always seem to deal with the anxiety/panic, it is so unpleasant and awful, you will be distracted by all you have to do and will be fine good luck and keep in touch xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

helen__w
26-08-05, 19:59
Hi henri

Just think of the sense of achievement you will feel after you have done it! It might be hard at the time but you can use it as a source of inspiration for the next time knowing that you can get through it!

I will be thinking of you - let us know how it goes

take care

Helen x

curlybird
26-08-05, 20:12
Hi Henri :)

I can totally sympathise with your situation. I had to join a focus group on Monday, which meant a room full of strangers all joining in a big debate, which I had to take part in. At one point I even had to stand in front of them all and use the flip chart - FOR A GOOD 45 MINS!!

Now this may not sound much- but at the time, I was dizzy, felt sick and my chest felt scarily tight. However, the anxiety did pass as I settled into my surroundings. The longer I was there the more I seemed to calm down. When the session was over I felt really pleased with myself just because I hadn't had a panic attack.

I guess what I am trying to say is, even though I was dreading the session and I did feel really anxious, I got through it!! And I'm sure that you will too...try to focus on the day ahead and maybe write yourself a list of tasks that you have to complete. Keep yourself busy and distracted, then hopefully you wont have time to even think about the anxiety...

Good luck for tomorrow - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Take Care
Luv Curly xxx

pips
26-08-05, 20:19
Hi Henri,

Slow calm breaths a few drops of rescue remedy and some POSITIVE thinking. You can do it.

You might be so busy you forget to feel anxious hey!

Good Luck & all the best,

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X

sueiamnew
26-08-05, 20:30
Sending you good wishes Henri, you will be fine - keep us informed.

clickaway
26-08-05, 23:00
I can understand how you feel Henri!

I don't really go to work and I have real problems even doing domestic tasks even though I feel I am making some headway.

But a few days ago I was forced to help get my brother's house clean and tidy as he was having some friends and family round at short notice. I had a real reason to do the jobs, which also entailed getting up earlier than usual.

Once I was stuck into it, I was OK, especially when I began to see real progress.

Try and think positively about your assignment - I hope you get some sense of achievement from your work. You go and find the person to interview, do your copy and hopefully see your work in print for Joe Public to read.

I'd be very proud of that.

(((BIG HUGS))) coming your way!

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

Meg
26-08-05, 23:21
Henri

Once you're there and concentrating and on a mission - you'll be fine, its when it nearly over and you're winding down you will suddenly realize you've been great.

Big Hug

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
27-08-05, 08:00
Good luck for today Henri. Hope it goes well for you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

helen__w
28-08-05, 01:21
Hi Henri

I hope everything went ok for you today!

Helen x

henri
28-08-05, 15:30
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for your replies. It was one of those things where i just needed a bit of reassurance. As it turned out, it was a pretty horrible day, i was totally stressed out all day and just couldn't wait for it to be over. But at least i got through it and made a bit of money! It's weird how sometimes it's like something mechanical takes over and you just sort of get on with things and do them.
Anyway thanks again guys xxx
PS Curly, respect to you. Flipcharts?!?! I would have totally flipped out (he he) so well done you.

Piglet
28-08-05, 16:15
Well done Henri - however horrible you felt, you did do it - respect to you!!!!

Love Piglet[Wow!]:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Insomniac
30-08-05, 11:14
Well done Henri! When you are dreading something like that, even if you feel bad while you're there, the sense of achievement is great!

I'm going back to work Thursday after a long school holiday. I always lose confidence when on a break and need all my helpers (Rescue Remedy etc) to get me going. But I know that if I don't I would end up never getting out of bed...

Congratulations!

Lisa.

pips
30-08-05, 11:42
That's Great Henri!

Well Done you for coping so well!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

MikeyT
31-08-05, 17:19
Hi
I too in the last year have become a freelance graphic designer, working from home. This was a situation brought about by redundancy etc and so far for the first year things have been going ok
It has been mentioned by my family that for people like you and I that working at home may not be the best thing.
ie. Some days due to work commitments - I don't go out. - but i do make a point of going out on my mountain bike first thing to get some excercise etc.
But it is also we need to mix with other people and situation to be able to combat the anxiety - I no not easy
You also have to be very regimented, as its easy to work too long hours, which was my problem, hence becoming stressed, which brought on depression and the anxiety etc.
So hope things go well - take
Mick

nomorepanic
31-08-05, 18:16
Henri

Well done on doing it even though it wasn't comfortable. You went and did it and that is what matters.

What's next then?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

henri
01-09-05, 20:49
work is such a bugger, isn't it...
i'm freelancing now nic, so i'm just doing interviews and writing articles from home. sometimes i get asked to go in to the office for a shift, some days i just sit at home doing nothing! it's not as stable as having a proper job (and a proper salary) obviously, but for now it suits me fine.
Mick - you're right, it probably isn't ideal. when i haven't got any work on, by the time my boyfriend gets home i find i'm just nattering away at him because i haven't spoken to anyone all day!
henri xx