PDA

View Full Version : Try And Bring On A Panic Attack

purplehaze
16-05-09, 05:57
I know this may seem strange but has anyone tried to bring on a panic attack.
I recently done this with a group that I am involved with and asked the 10 people there to bring on a panic attack and not one could. In fact everyone ended up laughing because they couldnt.

I suggest if you try this, do it when others are about, for obvious reasons. Dont want everyone rushing to ASDA and standing there with blue faces trying to bring one on.

The reason behind this was to show that panic attacks DO NOT HAVE A LIFE OF THEIR OWN.
If they dont exist in real terms then they wont exist at all....ok having said that we all know panic attacks, do exist but it is us that gives life to the attacks.

Medication is like weed killer....The weed killer gives the impression the weeds are away but a few weeks later up pops the weed. The only way to get rid of the weed is to dig it out.

Lets not keep feeding the weed/panic but lets dig the root out. We can take the steps one by one and we will win.....

My garden (my mind) is looking better but I still have a few weeds to go

melody
16-05-09, 06:21
Hi,

its the same as acting. u would have to remember the disturbing thoughts to bring it on. If u could do this, your emotions are easily influenced anyway like an actor. some people say thinking the bad, & then trying to undo the feelings by thinking good like puppies etc is good 4 self control.

i like the point u made.

:)

Moondance
16-05-09, 10:38
I agree with everything you say Purplehaze. I've also tried to bring a panic attack on and it's impossible! Panic attacks are the bodies natural and normal response to fear, it's because we add fear to our thoughts that our body begins to respond in the natural. Claire Weekes talks about 'adding second fear', it's when I truely understood this concept that I began not to fear the fear, it was a 'lightbulb moment'! Panic does not have a life of it's own, it's just our bodies reacting normally to fear which we have added to our thoughts.

Gryphoenix
16-05-09, 19:11
I actually find it rather easy to bring on a panic if I'm in my phobic situation (heart racing at a high speed)...lol. But when I'm not worried about this trigger, then yes, it's quite impossible.

purplehaze
17-05-09, 03:44
Moondance...Great name :-)

You nailed it in one

Panic attacks are not geographical (I say that a lot) The attacks have no idea where you are and they will be the same at the top of Ben Nevis as they would be sitting in our house.
Forget about safe places...Think acceptance and just go with the attack....difficult but not impossible