PDA

View Full Version : Help! I feel awful! Anyone there?

MOJO
16-05-09, 10:28
I'm so scared I can't stop shaking. Tried breathing etc. I had a few better days last week. Yesterday hubbie went away for couple of days and have also had problems with off balance feeling for few days. Think both things have ramped up my anxiety level again. I can't go back to how I was. Please help me I can't cope. How can I calm down? I can't face all day like this....:weep: :weep: :weep:

amandaj
16-05-09, 11:41
sorry your feeling so bad today mojo but hopefully later you will feel much better , the more you panic the worse it is
amandax

jdgeary1
16-05-09, 11:47
Try and do some things to take your mind off it. Its difficult I know, as feeling the same this morning, but have been doing various things to keep myself busy and to distract my mind. Keep in mind that its only your thoughts that cause panic, the more you think panic, the more you will feel it. I try and ensure I do Yoga when I feel a bit on edge. Pushing your body can sometimes help to make your mind realise that you are fine, its just you silly thoughts that cause the problem to grow and panic to worsen.

Keep calm, try and keep busy, do something to distract your mind and you will start to feel much better.

lady
16-05-09, 13:16
oh hun i know how you feel i have had week from hell .nothing worse than anxiety when its relentless.if you havnt been to doctors i would really think of going for advice .yoga is great and brething excercises but i got to rock bottom and had to decide to take medications they arent for everyone but i hope they will help me x try to keep busy

shaz36
16-05-09, 14:08
Lady

People seem to think of meds as a failure, i am trying to think of them as a short term help until i can sort the emotional side out. i need the meds to feel in control so i can start to try and understand why i do these. Onece i fugure that out i can reduce the meds.

Don't feel a failure for taking tablets, if they help you then they are doing their job and coming off them can be dealt with later

best of luck hun
x

MOJO
16-05-09, 23:11
Thank you all so much for your replies and support. It means so much to me. I only just managed to get back on my computer now. I felt rotten for most of the day but finally calmed down early evening. My sister-in-law came over and after talking for a while I felt better.
I only take seroquel at night. Doc tried me on anti depressants but really didn't agree with me so she decided to take me off them and I am having CBT. My appt. was off this week though and I don't think that helped me.
Hubbie also away for few days and I don't like being alone.
I have never been in a chat room and am a bit apprehensive about trying it! I don't know if I can type fast enough to reply to people or keep up with what's going on.:blush: I don't even really know how it works!:ohmy:
Anyway, thank you all again. I'd give up without this site and all the caring people that come on and listen to my problems. I hope I can be of some help to other people sometimes too.:hugs: xxx

Bill
17-05-09, 03:40
I felt rotten for most of the day but finally calmed down early evening. My sister-in-law came over and after talking for a while I felt better.

People seem to think of meds as a failure, i am trying to think of them as a short term help until i can sort the emotional side out.

A couple of thoughts....

When I was young, I used to suffer very badly from exam nerves, whether it was actually before taking exams or going for a driving test etc. However, I know that these kind of nerves aren't the same as when we feel constantly anxious. Exams nerves often cause us to vomit or constant loo visits but anxious feelings cause us to feel as if we can't stop shaking, everything's spinning etc.

Often once we're in an exam or the exam is over, we begin to relax but what if we feel we're constantly expecting an "exam" that never comes?

I feel that often anxious symptoms are caused by different triggers. When we begin to panic, we can start shallow breathing which in turn causes us to feel giddy but what about the other sensations like continuous shaking or teeth "chattering" (like when we shiver and they keep banging together)? I guess deep breathing would help to a point as it's a way of becoming relaxed but I have my doubts exactly how effective deep breathing is when our shaking isn't being caused by hyperventilating.

There are two points highlighted in the paragraphs I've copied above.... after talking for a while I felt better...... meds as a failure, i am trying to think of them as a short term help until i can sort the emotional side out.

When something triggers us to feel anxious, whether it's after experiencing a panic attack, too much pressure at work or a worry about an event that "gets to us" etc....we will experience anxious symptoms of various types. These symptoms then trigger us to "worry about Those symptoms" which then starts us off on a "worry" spiral. We begin to worry about the original "cause" but now on top we also begin to worry about the symptoms we're now feeling. Panic then consumes us and we feel unable to break free.

Now, to go back to those paragraphs....why would you feel better after simply talking to your sister-in-law? The simple fact of the matter is that it broke your cycle of worry that was causing your symptoms. You "forgot" to "think" about your "worries" (both the "cause" and the "symptoms" the cause caused!)

Why then do people think of meds as a failure? The reason is that they help to ease the anxious symptoms But they don't stop you "thinking" about the "cause" Or your symptoms.

Why then use meds? Just as you say, they can help us to feel that little bit better to enable us to tackle the actual "causes" - our "thoughts".

Which then leads back to why you felt better after "talking". You forgot your "worrying thoughts".

Sometimes when we begin to worry, we "feel ill" and because we feel ill, we often say "we're not actually thinking anything so why feel ill?" Our minds though are subconsciously "thinking" about "feeling ill" and so we can't stop the feelings.

Distraction can play its part and I actually feel that after we've experienced a "trigger", distraction can actually help us to move on by helping us to "forget" about the original trigger. Often we experience more panics because of the fear the original panic induced.

I know when we feel we can't stop shaking, it feels very hard to focus on anything else but once you do, the shaking always stops because your mind stops "thinking" about how you're feeling.:hugs:

MOJO
17-05-09, 10:31
Thank you Bill!
Very sensible advice as always!
I think I will need to get a stream of relatives and friends in throughout the day to talk with me so that I don't have time to think about myself so much!!!
It's awful to feel afraid of being alone with your thoughts, especially when I used to enjoy my own company so much. One day......:hugs:

shaz36
17-05-09, 10:59
Dito from me as well bill, very helpful advice.

I used to hate my own company and actually got myself into a situation where i was visiting a different friend evey day of the week just for the company. Then i didn't get all the things i should have been doing done and then i started to worry about that...........theres the dreaded vicious circle......

Then my husbands job changed and he started travelling all over the world and i had no choice but to get used to my own company. Now i do all of the things that i can't do when he is here. I get quite a lot of satisfaction out of this.

I find reading helps, just a crappy mills and boon book keeps me ocupied for a few hours, difficult if you have young kids but mine are at school.

Mojo Have you considered changing meds. I'm on diazepam 2mg 3 times a day and i am finding these are really helpful in keeeping the coiled spring inside more relaxed.

keep your chin up guys, we are all here for you.
xxx

MOJO
17-05-09, 11:14
Hi Shaz!
Have tried diazepam and also sertraline but didn't agree with me. Doc took me off them. Just hoping CBT will continue to work. It does seem to be helping, but when I miss a week it sets me back.
I really related to what you said about "the coiled spring inside"! it exactly describes how I feel. :hugs:

shaz36
17-05-09, 17:38
Thats about the only symptom i have 99% of the time and i actually treat the PA as a totally different thing. Just started CBT and have 2nd session on tues. last weeks was just filling in forms, really hope it works but considering i don't know what triggers mine i'm not sure how helpful this will be.

take care
xx