PDA

View Full Version : how do you accept it when the doctor says your symptoms are anxiety...

biffa
16-05-09, 22:49
i cant seem to at all.

my doctor thinks its anxiety i think.

but i dont seem to be getting better and im always thinking its something worse.

how do you accept it?:shrug:

Sarah Virginia
16-05-09, 22:58
hi have just read your query, I am suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. My main problem is feeling that there is alump in my throat and I will choke to deah. Saw the doc last week and after examining me told me that it was just stress and that the mucles in my throat were tense. For a short while he symtoms went away but when I am tired which is often the choking returns. I suppose it is all about accepting the symptoms and relaxing and trying not to get tense. Breathing exercises work but you have to believe that it will be okay and it will it just takes practice. Hang in there things will improve I am sure. I have a wonderful partner who I am able to talk my fears through, so if you have someone close to you tell them about your fears and I know it will help. Dont count the days just take eveyday as it comes. Best of luck.:)

Louize
16-05-09, 23:31
ARGH!! i hated this - ive not been to the doctor since, and i wont until i change doctors.

All she did was check my blood pressure listen to my symptoms and said "Im not giving you anything, your doing you a levels. its anxiety" and that was it.... but still when panic sets in i think im dying from anything from choking to death to a heart attack..... i have to fight the urge to go to the hospital, im lucky though because my mother also suffered from the exact same thing, so she will stroke my hair, press my chest lightly and run under my rib - its the only thing that seems to calm me down these days. Still doesnt make it any better at times, its just one big vicious circle for me :( x

Veronica H
17-05-09, 01:08
Hi Biffa/Sarah/loize

I want to recommend the great Dr weekes to you all as she has helped so many here at NMP. Her book is called 'self help for your nerves', published by Thorsons. This is available from the NMP Shop. Her work can also be downloaded free to your MP3 from the shop. I can not recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover.

Take care all:bighug1:

Veronica

lrforge
17-05-09, 03:18
I have posted a message about this twice. It is so hard to get past! i started meds and they are starting to help. Do you see a therapist or do any self help? It has taken me 3 yrs and I am finally starting to think its anxiety. Tho went I go thru a hard time or high anxiety and so want to go to the dr, just to make sure you know?

mau
17-05-09, 03:55
Frankly I was pleased that I finally had a diagnosis.

jdgeary1
17-05-09, 10:44
I know how you feel, no matter how many times I go back to the Doctor, no matter how many tests I have had, its always hard to think its just Anxiety. I have just had my annual medical, blood tests, heart checked, lungs, all bodily functions etc and nothing wrong, so I've been told for the millionth time. I still find it hard to accept that its just anxiety causing the symptons I feel at times, but it is and you just have to keep telling yourself it is. You end up thinking, "well what if its something more", as I do as well, but you have to remember there are times where you feel ok. My Doctor told me that there is one thing sure in life, if your ill, two things happen, you either get better, or get worse. In our situation, it tends to stay the same, so you have to tell yourself that its anxiety, nothing more and nothing less. The question I keep asking, is "when will I feel better". My counsellor tells me one simple thing, "you will feel better, when you stop worrying". In general it is that simple. Its difficult, but its the truth. It may take some time to feel better, but the key is to stop worrying, stop thinking that there is something wrong. Its hard to keep doing it, but TIME is the key to getting better.

Louize
17-05-09, 22:16
my doctor is a total b*itch - no offer of explanation, or anything that remotely made me feel better, just a "im not giving you anything" - which for one i never asked for anything and two, i hardly ever go to the doctor - im not an "ill" person, in my mind i know im alright, that its just anxiey and panic, my mothers been the rock to me, she went through it herself - my whole family suffer with this so she knew and told me before i even went to the doctor - but no offer of any check-ups, help, councilling.... just that im nto getting any medicine and a blood pressure check and she sent me on my way.

I felt like i was being shunned for being silly or like i was making this up and it wasnt important hence me joining this place and helping myself. Its totally put me off going to the doctors at all.