PDA

View Full Version : hi, new to this site but not to anxiety/panic

rdy4fn24
18-05-09, 03:09
Hi,
I just turned 32 today and I can't believe I am still dealing with panic and anxiety after all these years, since I was a young girl. I am feeling frustrated and lonely, not alone with this problem but just alone in the world even though I have people around me who love me. I just don't think they truly understand even though they are extremely patient.
I hope to make some friends here to chat with, to get through these awful attacks, it really bothers me that I get them at home just as easily as if I were out. I am tired of feeling like I let my children down because I am not doing the things I feel I should be with them, (getting out and doing things that is), I want to become indepedent and drive and work, showing them that anything can be done, no matter how scared you are, yet here I am feeling like I'm not getting anywhere.
ok I guess that I could go on and on, but I should stop here. lol
Here's to new beginings!

pennyforyourthoughts
18-05-09, 17:15
Hi,
Ditto - I'm new to this site but not to anxiety/panic attacks.
Well, I only ever had one panic attack but I have felt so out of control at times that I feared having one. I have had lots of anxiety symptoms. Went to the docs and he recommended cognitive behavioural therapy - I was dead set against taking medication as lots of my friends have had terrible side effects from them. I am now cured of anxiety as a result. Only had four sessions in all. It's all about controlling your thoughts - these thoughts make you behave the way you do. Control your thoughts and you control your behaviour and your symptoms of anxiety. I can now do things that I would never have dreamt of 12 months ago. Like you, I have a family and can get out more and do all the things that I've always wanted to do. You can too.
Whenever I feel anxious nowadays, I just change my thoughts from ones full of fear to ones full of positivity. My can'ts have become cans and my fears have been replaced with facts. For example, I tried it with snakes which I've always feared - now I can touch them and I would even have one draped round my neck. All because I feed my thoughts with 'this snake ain't gonna kill me' and a 'yes, you can' attitude. It's amazing what you can do when you decide to change your thoughts. Hope this helps a little and gives you the enthusiasm to learn more .... :) And welcome to this forum:welcome: