PDA

View Full Version : GP wants to put me on SSRI's for anxiety

panictyme
18-05-09, 08:14
So apparently these help anxiety and I know different people have different experiences with each type.

But for those who've had any SRI drugs, can you offer me any advice or insight as to what they're like?
I know the doctor has a hyme sheet to sing from so there's no straight answers there.
Beta blockers didnt work for me and diazepam isnt a long term solution.

Ive read alot about them but it's hard to find in personal stories.

thanks.

EDIT- The reason I didnt post this in the medication forum is because there's 7 or so sub forums for specific medications and I have no idea which one i may be put on.

eternally optimistic
18-05-09, 19:27
Hi there,

Citalopram is a SSRI drug, so there is plenty of reading on here about that particular medication.

Ive been on Citalopram and it helped me a lot. Didn't/hasnt solved everything but has made a massive difference to me.

Am sure others will comment on SSRI's that they have been on.

Good luck with whatever you do.

tom1
19-05-09, 00:19
SSRIs are a very safe group of medications for GPs to use for anxiety and depression. The side-effects are usually much less than some of the older anti-depressants, and they don't have nasty addiction like some other medications.

I hope you get a good start to your treatment with SSRIs because for a lot of people they can really make a difference.

Anyway, I hope all goes well.