PDA

View Full Version : Bad day!

helen__w
28-08-05, 01:10
Hi

My chest pain has been SO bad these last couple of days that I fear having a heart attack!

I know how stupid that is I have had:

An ECG - which was fine
A Chest X-ray - which didn't show any problems
Had several docs check me with a stethescope - all say its fine
I have an 'excellent' resting heart rate according to those calculators

But I feel consumed with this fear that I'm about to have a heart attack! I feel like I'm losing control a bit - first there was my swallowing which has no medical problem and now this! Why is that you can start having one problem and then end up with others along the way? It is so frustrating and I feel like a hypochondriac - but the pain is real and frightning! I know deep down that it cant be a heart attack as I've had it for so long and had all these tests and I have acid reflux but it doesnt stop the crazy thoughts when its late or I am on my own! I stay up so late anyway - but now even longer because some how I think I can stay in control of my heart if I am awake how stupid!

Sorry to ramble on a bit but I felt so happy the other day when I found out there wasnt a physical problem with my swallowing and now I feel like I am being pulled right back down again with my paranoia!

Helen x

mandie
28-08-05, 01:35
Hi Helen

Sorry to hear how you are feeling. I do know what you are going through.

I have chest pain on and off which is due to anxiety. When I get it I get so scared, I think im gonna have a heart attack. Of course the more you panic the worse the pain.

I can be fine for days and then the slightest twinge, will send me into panic mode and then the pain comes back with a vengence!.

Its one thing after another with me. If the chest pain goes then I will get someting else. Its a vicious circle!

Mandie x

helen__w
28-08-05, 03:05
Thanks Mandie

Its nice to know you understand how I'm feeling! You are definitely right that its all just a vicious circle!

Helen x

kate
28-08-05, 08:30
Hi Helen,

This is what is so lovely about this panic, we get over one symptom only for it to be replaced with another one that then gives us as much worry!

Chest pains are very common in people suffering anxiety. Try searching on here and you will be amazed how many people are feeling or have felt the same as yourself.

Kate x

pips
28-08-05, 11:13
Hi Helen,

I do understand.

I to get chest pains when i'm feeling anxious. Or I get a chest pain and that can make me feel anxious! Can't win huh! and yes it is so scary.

Take comfort in reassuring yourself that the tests were fine and tell yourself over and over you have a healthy heart.

Calm slow breaths and listening to a relaxation CD can help.

Or i go into distraction mode and busy myself try to take my mind of it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Maddieg
28-08-05, 13:07
Hi Helen,

I agree with everyone else, i used to get really bad chest pain and palpitations and it is very scary.

I agree with you Kate it seems that the chest pain is having a rest at the moment and in its place is good old dizziness [Ugh]

Take care Helen, i found it reassuring to realise so many other people had similar symptoms to mine.

Hugs Maddie xx

helen__w
28-08-05, 15:41
Thanks for all your replies!

Its nice to know there are people who understand it doesn't make me feel as crazy! I think the problem is that I dont go anywhere or do anything so I have more time to convince myself of all sorts!

I was supposed to go to India but now that has fallen through I have to go job searching but I keep putting off until I am 'better', and I worry how long that will be! I know I should just throw myself out there and maybe my symptoms will decrease - but it seems easy to think but not actually to do!

Helen x