PDA

View Full Version : Endometrial Ablation - (for girls)

Oceanblue
18-05-09, 14:08
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody here has had this procedure done?

My doctor has suggested it because of my heavy periods.

If I was to have this done, do you only ever have the one procedure, or does this need to be repeated again after time?

I tend to become very anxious and on edge of panic when docs have to go down there, my pain threshold is very low and I freeze.

Is it painful ? Sounds kind of daft after going through two births, but you know:huh:.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Thank you. x

suzy-sue
18-05-09, 19:09
Hi Katy,this is usually a day procedure,but can affect fertility.You would be given an injection and a sedative, all would be discussed before hand with the consultant.It can take 6 months before you can tell whether it has been sucessful .I had the same problem,and was fitted with a Mirena coil and it has truly been a godsend.Cant recommend it enough.You can get it done at the hospital and they give you an injection ,all you feel is a bit of cramping.It lasts for 5 years. Lots Luv Sue:hugs:

Oceanblue
26-05-09, 18:09
Hi Katy,this is usually a day procedure,but can affect fertility.You would be given an injection and a sedative, all would be discussed before hand with the consultant.It can take 6 months before you can tell whether it has been sucessful .I had the same problem,and was fitted with a Mirena coil and it has truly been a godsend.Cant recommend it enough.You can get it done at the hospital and they give you an injection ,all you feel is a bit of cramping.It lasts for 5 years. Lots Luv Sue:hugs:

Thanks for writing Suzy and I'm sorry I couldn't write back any earlier.

I'm fine as in not wanting any more children, so that is no problem.

I do worry about this procedure though,.. it's just because I seem to feel so much pain down there :blush:, (maybe psychological:shrug: ) and I also start to panic. But you must understand being a lady it's just not nice, I seem to freeze.

I think it's probably to do with the difficult births and the trauma, which I still haven't got over. I'm just terrified of doc's going anywhere near that part :blush: lol.

I've already had the coil fitted in the past, only unfortunately it didn't suit me, it actually made my periods very painful, maybe something wasn't quite right,.. I don't know.

I'm lost as in what to do, I really am. Maybe, I should just go for it.

Have you actually had this procedure done before?

Thanks Suzy xxx:)

ElizabethJane
26-05-09, 19:41
Hi Katy I haven't had an endometrial ablation but I did have several coils fitted. They suited me reasonably well but like you the last one actually made my periods a lot more painful plus I was running out of ideas for pain relief. I am allergic to codeine, I cannot take anything that is an anti inflammatory because I am on lithium. I eventually had a hysterectomy in 2007 which was the right decsion for me in the end as I had adenomyosis and fibriods. It has taken me about two years to feel completly well again. It is major life changing surgery and I would strongly recommend other solutions to your heavy painful bleeding first. Have you been offered zoladex injections? They would allow you a breathing space if you are unsure at the moment whether to have surgery or not. Find yourself a good gynaecologist and discuss the options with him/her. Best wishes.

Coni
28-05-09, 16:50
Hi Katy, one of my friends had this and it has been a complete success...as far as Im aware you only need it done once. I too would love to have it done as I dont like the idea of the hormones in the Mirena coil, but havent yet plucked up the courage to go back to the GP after 'trying' various other medications for heavy periods.

Hope this helps

Coni X

Thumbelina
28-05-09, 18:20
Hi Katy,

I haven had done End...Ab... but had coil and it didt work for me. If gave me constant bleedings and finally felt out. (almost)

Doctor said some womans bodies reject them as foreign bodies.
My mam got pregnant 2 or 3 times with coil.

I realised that for me tablets orcoil didnt work either for period pains or for contraception. Lucky there are few pother tools left. :o)))

Take care