PDA

View Full Version : Attack at work

I_Am_Zuul
18-05-09, 14:25
Hi everyone,

I've posted here before, but in the depression forum as that is what normally effects my life. Right now I am back at work afetr having 2 months off sick. I travel a long way to get to work by train and this is my last week here. I'm going to find a nearer job.

I can feel myself beginning to panic again, my breathing increasing and my chest hurting. I feel crap, like I can't do the work. I'm unable to concentrate properly and I have to phone some people I don't know and I'm really scared.

I don't know, I think I just need some advice. I just feel like running home but I don't want to disappoint everyone again. :weep:

gtrgrl3369
18-05-09, 14:36
Try and take deep breathes to help you calm down. Start working soon to refocus your energies from panic to work. You can do this. You are out of your comfort zone and that is what is setting of this round of panic. Start making your calls and focus on the day ahead. Think positive and about something that makes you happy. Have a glass of water or take a short walk, take care and breathe...:hugs:

Louize
18-05-09, 16:09
Sip water, breath in for 7, out for 11.

Something that works for me is thinking back to times when ive been worse and knowing that i survived them so i'll survive this one which reminds me that i CAN do this, so maybe you could give that a go. I hope you do/have settled down and are feeling a little better about it

xx

I_Am_Zuul
18-05-09, 21:01
Thank you both for your responses :) I managed to calm down and I stayed at work. Yay! My manager was really great and gave me a hug at the end of the day (we're friends as well), and I felt so pleased with myself for sticking to it!

Moondance
18-05-09, 21:11
I too have to travel approx 2 hours to get to work and I remember the times when I bought my ticket, sat down and started to panic. The underground was out of bounds and I often went home and cried. We shouldn't worry about 'disappointing other people'. People cannot understand what you're going through unless they've been there themselves.
Recovery isn't an easy journey and we should allow ourselves to have bad days. However, we also need to allow ourselves to feel the fear without being afraid of those feelings. Claire Weekes wrote ' Panic goes only when you take the panic out of panic, that is seeing it through so often without adding second fear, that eventually even panic no longer matters.' For me, I can't remember when I stopped being afraid of the feelings but I recall acknowledging my anxious moments and then just letting them be there, in the meantime I had work to do. Eventually the feelings became less intense and now I don't get them, but if I did, I know what they are and just get on. It's not easy and we can't rush recovery but you can and will recover!