PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help regarding job & anxiety pls?

PoppyC
18-05-09, 16:22
Hi
I have started job hunting after being ill for the past year. I am feeling so much better and have decided to quit my boring soul searching over anxiety & complaining and get out there instead. I know isolating myself from an actual work place is doing me no favours and the longer I am out the harder its going to be to get back in.
I work from home (admin services for travel industry) but now want to work outside the home.
I can't stand working from home anymore (too isolated)
Ok the question is...on my job application do I state anything at all about the past year (breakdown, hospitalised etc) I have asked this before but I cant remember now what was said and I decided on a fresh post. Obviously I have been working from home, so shall I just keep it as that??? or mention being unwell?
I have people tell me dont mention it, but, my therapist said I should, because if I get a job that requires medical questionaires to fill in, then I have to be honest.
I would appreciate any help.

eurotrashcub
18-05-09, 16:27
I would not mention anything until you have passed your probation.

If there are medical questionnaires, do not lie, but do not go into detail:

ie: Mental health problems: Yes, depression... or something vague like that... or not even that...

PoppyC
18-05-09, 16:34
Hi
Thanks for advice. I appreciate it. I was diagnosed with anxiety - so will just put that.
I know its early days and I have only started looking at jobs and applying but its something that I have wondering about.
I was going to try out voluntary work first, but I may as well go into paid employment and go in at the deep end.
I think I soul search too much. I know its important we do - but I also think too much and not enough actual action can be a negative thing. - for me anyway!
Now all I need to do is find some job vacancies :wacko: Great time to job hunt! :lac:

PoppyC
18-05-09, 16:36
Hi
Thanks for advice. I appreciate it. I was diagnosed with anxiety - so will just put that.
I know its early days and I have only started looking at jobs and applying but its something that I have wondering about.
I was going to try out voluntary work first, but I may as well go into paid employment and go in at the deep end.
I think I soul search too much. I know its important we do - but I also think too much and not enough actual action can be a negative thing. - for me anyway!
Now all I need to do is find some job vacancies :wacko: Great time to job hunt! :lac:

Str33tb0y
18-05-09, 16:40
Yeah good advice there Poppy....I would say dont tell them anything unless you have too...To be honest they usually only want to know about things that would directly affect your ability to work machinery or drive etc. I would say keep that too yourself if you can..they dont need to know as its not going to affect anyone but yourself...

NoPoet
18-05-09, 16:50
Popperoonie old love, think about what you put on your CV! Which candidate sounds more suitable:

a) Employment gap (2007-2008): I suffered an accident which rendered me unable to work. I am now recovered and actively seeking employment.

b) Employment gap (2007-2008): I suffered an emotional breakdown and was committed to hospital. I am now recovered and actively seeking employment.

Yeah, "a" stretches the truth (some might even say it's a pork pie), but "b" is never going to win Bully's special prize!

servo
18-05-09, 17:16
I think It's better not to tell them, I could be wrong, but there are some people out there that do not understand anxiety and they could make a big deal about it...

I know how hard it is to fill out this applications, and that is not good to lie, but sometimes we have to protect ourselves... good luck on your applications and keep us posted, please!!

bobobob
18-05-09, 18:32
Hi. I just started back at work today after eight months away. Don't expect to do to much on the first day. Wow i'm shattered. Small steps and build up over a period of time. Hope you get what u want...

PoppyC
18-05-09, 21:04
Hi everyone
Thanks for your messages & advice. I have decided I am not going to say anything, but I am not going to lie on any medical forms that I may have to fill in, but I wont go into much detail...it isn't like I have not been doing anything during that time as I am working from home and have good references from my previous job.
I guess I must be feeling better because I cant wait to get back out to work again.
Bobobob - Well done on getting back to work! How was your first day back?

Thanks again everyone for your help! :)