PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm Antipodes and I have PTSD

Antipodes
28-08-05, 05:33
Hi,

I only recently found this site and it looks, rather "feels" good.
I have complex PTSD with delayed onset (of more than a decade) and have suffered the full range of symptoms for over four years. I am presently untriggered but am experiencing reactive depression because of the adverse effects PTSD has had on my otherwise charmed life.

I'll be following and hopefully contributing to the PTSD forum.

ps Antipodes is because I'm down under in New Zealand

in1peace
28-08-05, 05:48
Hi Antipodes!
Welcome!
This is an excellent site. You are at the right place!
I am new to this site as well and I'm finding it very helpful and encouraging.
I have PTSD too, but not sure what is the trauma. Not sure I really want to know.
Anyway, take a good look around. This site is a life-saver.. literally!
Take care of yourself,
Andrea

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

Meg
28-08-05, 09:35
Welcome

Sounds like you have a good understanding of whats going on with you.

What help have you been getting for this ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
28-08-05, 10:29
Welcome aboard!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

pips
28-08-05, 10:59
Hi Antipodes

A BIG warm welcome. I hope the site helps you.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X

jill
28-08-05, 11:21
Hi Antipodes

WELCOME TO THE SITE :D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Piglet
28-08-05, 11:21
Hi there,

Welcome to the site.

Love Piglet:)

pinkscrumpy
28-08-05, 11:32
A warm welcome Antipodes

:D:D

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

Karen
28-08-05, 12:22
Hi Antipodes

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
28-08-05, 13:59
Hi Antipodes

A warm welcome aboard the forum from down-under!

I hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

sueiamnew
28-08-05, 15:37
Welcome to the site Antipodes.

Antipodes
28-08-05, 22:51
Thank you all for your warm welcome.

I'm 11 hours ahead of you so it was a lovely surprise to see these responses after a nights "sleep".

Meg, to answer your question, I have been seeing a psychologist regularly for over four years and initially a psychiatrist for medications and med reviews. PTSD has destroyed my professional credibility here due to discrimination and prejudice. I went critical earlier this year and am now regularly seeing a NHS psychiatist for free (very expensive to see privately).

I'm relatively untriggered but reflective depression (to my circumstances) has got a hold of me. My wife has recently left me because of caregiver burnout. We still care about eachother but she is distressed about the toll PTSD has taken on me and needs a break. I only hope it's just a few months.

I have a good understanding about this affliction but the circumstances that caused it are not easy to to reconcile. I was in a situation at my place of work (it involved a firearm) and I can't claim compensation because there is a statute of limitations (6 years). My delayed onset was eleven years. It is so unfair and adds to my distress.
(I wonder if I should have posted this in the PTSD section?)

Thanks again guys. I look forward to reading and contributing (supporting) to the benefit of us all.

sincerely

Antipodes

nomorepanic
29-08-05, 13:04
I am pleased to hear that you are getting some help and I hope it is working well for you.

Sorry to hear that you can't claim compensation cos of the timescales - that seems very unfair to me.

I hope you and your wife can sort things out in time and maybe get back together. It can be really hard on the carer - we all know that.

Your post is fine where it is.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"