PDA

View Full Version : anyone worry theyre going mad?

flegger1
18-05-09, 22:51
one of my main problems whenever i get anxiety is that i worry i am going mad and will end up in a funny farm.
this manifests itself in a few ways, and obviously is not a nice feeling.

I was just wondering if this was a common aspect with anxiety. For example, if someone on tv mentions mental health, or even worse someone on tv is acting like a bit of a nutter, it really unnerves me and i imagine that happening to me.

i know they say that if you think youre going mad, youre not- because only those who dont think it are truly so. but nevertheless its a bit worrying

drummermike
18-05-09, 23:01
one of my main problems whenever i get anxiety is that i worry i am going mad and will end up in a funny farm.

I was just wondering if this was a common aspect with anxiety. For example, if someone on tv mentions mental health, or even worse someone on tv is acting like a bit of a nutter, it really unnerves me and i imagine that happening to me.

i know they say that if you think youre going mad, youre not- because only those who dont think it are truly so. but nevertheless its a bit worrying

Yep ... but not much anymore. With reassurance from professionals and knowing I am aware that thinking I going crazy is pretty evident I'm not.

Ever notice on TV how, criminals that do bad things are walking around in shackles going into court, relaxed, sometimes smiling, non caring? They don't think think anything is wrong with them. usually.

I get p****d when these same criminals are out walking around not feeling woozy, or agoraphobic etc ....... mingling into society like nothings wrong and I am barely able to get my groceries, without a criminal bone in my body. Arrrgggggggg!

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Str33tb0y
18-05-09, 23:10

yep totally get that...its actually wot made me bite the bullit and go to the doctors after about 16 or 17 years of suffering the last few months became unbearable with my thoughts...I think this stemmed from the end of my last relationship last august..I think the dispair made my anxiety 10 times worse and I just couldnt stop thinking awful things...which in turn made my ocd a lot worse...which made me more anxious..it was like a vicious circle and I just summoned up the courage and went to see the quack..as I thought If i dont go now I might actually just lose the plot completely...

21girl
19-05-09, 16:16
yes, ive had this problem. I am currently undergoing therapy and am assured this is a completley normal, but scary feeling. Try not to panic, as you know you CAN get out of this. xx

Reggie
19-05-09, 16:30
Yes, I've had this on several occasions during times of extreme anxiety/panic.

On every occasion I've seen doctors, psychiatrists and nurses and they all say "no - you're not going mad, it's just anxiety". The "just" bit is a of a joke, because I'm genuinely feeling like I'm loosing grip on reality when I'm at my lowest ebb.

However, the last period of anxiety I had lasted about 10 weeks and it was one of the lowest times I've had, I felt hideous and it felt different to what it has done in the past - but you know what? they were right, it was "just" anxiety and I've come out the other side now and feel so much better (I needed to change meds too).

The oddest thing was, I became agoraphobic and when I felt better, spring had sprung, literally - it had gone from winter to spring outside and I'd missed it because I had felt so ill for all those weeks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, hold on, time will pass and you will start to feel better.

21girl
19-05-09, 16:32
Yes, I've had this on several occasions during times of extreme anxiety/panic.

On every occasion I've seen doctors, psychiatrists and nurses and they all say "no - you're not going mad, it's just anxiety". The "just" bit is a of a joke, because I'm genuinely feeling like I'm loosing grip on reality when I'm at my lowest ebb.

However, the last period of anxiety I had lasted about 10 weeks and it was one of the lowest times I've had, I felt hideous and it felt different to what it has done in the past - but you know what? they were right, it was "just" anxiety and I've come out the other side now and feel so much better (I needed to change meds too).

The oddest thing was, I became agoraphobic and when I felt better, spring had sprung, literally - it had gone from winter to spring outside and I'd missed it because I had felt so ill for all those weeks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, hold on, time will pass and you will start to feel better.

thankyou for that reggie xx

jaymv83
20-05-09, 00:56
i've found forums like this really help as i know i'm not alone in feeling like i do, ever since i was told about anxiety its got worse and now having to fight my way through the day with horrible thoughts of what if its something serious, i'm giving CBT a try and also told my doctor to half my dose of propranolol from 80mg s/r capsules to 10mg tablets 4x daily due to the fact my heart rate went lower than 60bpm, Its hard but i keep telling myself i'm going to beat this in time

Thumbelina
20-05-09, 06:51
Haya, Iam new here, trying to work out how to chat, But it looks like you can only afyter 5 days.
I do worry that I will go mad, and end up in the mental hospital locked in. But I think its normal as the stigma about our condition has been very well fixed over the centuries. Therefore it would be actually abnormal if we are not scared to go totally mad.
Our engraved perceptions are holding us back and do not let ignore the symptoms of our condition and thats what I would like to change in myself.

Take care