PDA

View Full Version : 20yr Old Male Wiv Bad Anxeity..help !

braderz
19-05-09, 18:48
HI PEOPLE

I SUFFER PANIC ATTACKS ALL THE TIME,IVE HAD TO LEAVE WORK DUE TO IT BEING SUCH A PROBLEM ! ITS ONLY WHEN IM OWT IN PUBLIC PLACES I START TO FEEL FUNNY ETC, BUT AT HOME IM FINE

THIS HAS BEEN GOIN ON FOR YEARS NOW , AND I HAVE BEEN ON AND OFF WITH ANXEITY AND DEPRESSION FOR 7 YEARS NOW , IT' RUINS MY LIFE !:weep:

ALSO MY PROPRANONOL TABLETS JUST DONT WORK ANYMORE ,DOES ANYBODY NO ANY WAYS OF PREVENTING THE ATTACKS ,THAT ACTUALLY WORKS,WOULD BE A GREAT HELP THANKS XXX BRADERZ XXX :shades:

SDP
19-05-09, 21:19
i braderz

I totally know where you are coming from I was in a bad way a few years ago when it came to public places & found it really hard to make my work every day.
Eventually I got refered for CBT and things started to get a bit better for me I was slowly made to face my fears gradually for instance - using the bus to town,then train & eventually riding the underground.
Jouring one sesion in CBT I was feeling particularly anxoius & my therapist noticed this & used a exerscise which has been very helpfull to me. As I was on the verge of a panic attack she told me to sit still and accept it *I can tell you all I wanted to do was run for the door" but she made me sit in the seat and describe the feeling and then I was told to put a number on how distressing the symptoms are 10 being highest. as I was hitting the peak of my attack I was told to ask my body for more anxiety and try and prolong the symptoms in turn taking control and anknowledging the feelings can't really hurt me.

I am by no way cured but slowly exposing myself to scarry situations I have been able to get used to daily activaties.

Hope this helps
SDP

braderz
20-05-09, 17:52
yea i have been to CBT just started it , its so strange tho cox i used to be so confident and outgoing ,but now im just paranoid and worrying all the time,especially when im owt ! i left work after having a really bad panic attack n yea all you wanna do is leggit lol ! thanks for the advice ,my mum said,what i have to do is encounter the scary situations more often to get used to it and realise there isnt out to actually fear ! i take 3 propranol tablets before i leave and constantly have to sike myself up as i go somewhere !! DrIVING ME NUTS !!

SDP
20-05-09, 18:39
Yea I khow how you feel! only a few years ago I was partying every night & spending my summers in Ibiza but now the thought of being far from home scares me.
Its strange how different it can make you feel but that the cards we've been delt and all we can do is fight to get your confidence back.

Stick with the CBT & try to expose yourself to as many fears as possible (its the only way!!!!!)

Look after yourself.
SDP

sharona
20-05-09, 19:05
Hi Braderz

Sorry to hear you having a bad time. I read Claire weeks books which are great help and there are free downloads of hers on here.

Hope you are o.k.

Sharona