PDA

View Full Version : Any one with info please? x

Fligh Princess
19-05-09, 21:40
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and pretty new to admitting my panic disorder, so go easy on me!
I've had mild panic attacks for as long as I can remember but they went as quick as they came.
Until I recently lost my job and now my confidence has hit rock bottom, (my boyfriend has an amazing job, which doesn't help).
I started suffering more frequent panic attacks when I was in traffic jams etc.
I decided that it was time to face my problems so went to my GP who prescribed paroxetine. I took it for only 7 days when I couldn't take anymore, after peeling myself off the ceiling I rang my doctor who has now prescribed Amitriptyline.

I wondered if anyone could help me?

My GP said that paroxetine worked my hightening my anxiety before helping it, but it was this that I just couldn't cope with. Does amitriptyline work in the same way??? I haven't started taking it yet as I'm too scared if it does.
I'm not looking for an easy way out but I have two children under 4 and the way I reacted to paroxetine I was no use nor ornament to them!

Sorry for going on as this is my first time, but you all seem in the know!
Thank You x

laeonae
19-05-09, 23:11
Hi there!

I also can not take paxil or any of the ssri's. I currently take klonopon which helps a little. Elavil (Amitryptiline) is different from paxil in that it is a tri-cyclic. It may work for you. I would try it. Let me know how you do on it. My doctor suggested it to me but I am sticking with Klonopin for now. The quality that paxil and elavil both have in common is that they both contain seratonin uptakes. Elavil also works on gaba levels too I believe. I have been through several medications. Dont give up until you find one that works. :)

Patty
20-05-09, 11:33
Hi Fligh Princess, :hugs:

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :flowers:

fillyjonk
20-05-09, 12:49
Hi.

I had a terrible experience with paroxetine - GP's don't seem to realised because it can highten your anxiety before improving, you can become even more scared. I don't know about the other drug you may try - If you've not been feeling this way long term, I'd try seeing a counsellor or any alternatives to medication first. Addiction may give you another, bigger problem in the future. Have you seen the self help books by Dr. Weekes?

I understand with having young children you want to get a quick fix maybe but it's just my opinion.

Good luck and glad you found the site,
Fillyjonk