PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone some advice and a bit about me

wigglywoo12
20-05-09, 00:05
hi peeps

im ozzy nice to meet you all

this place looks really good first things first well done to all involved

i have had anxiety from about the age of 15 my dad suffers also plus my nan did too so i think the genetic theory is possibly true.i have had some really bad cases of it some mild but eventually after trying for soooooo long in trying to rid it by myself i finally succumbed and went to the gp who prescribed escitalopram.they took about a fortnight to work but they where really good for a very long time then i moved over then to citalopram.i have been on these now for a while and they seem to be ok 20mg.i have periods of about 3 months or so when im great but then i can take a back step and feel pretty awful,this can feel like the tablets are no longer working but if i keep to them this subsides after a few weeks and i go back to normal again.i would just like to ask because i have tried a few sites does your lifestyle really affect it more for instance i smoke,i dont drink,and in the past i have been rather partial to sweets crisps the usual junk.i wonder if a lifestyle change would help it.also i have a rather strange question i have tried to quit smoking a few times and ive done rather well last attempt was four months,i was taking nrt by form of 4mg nicotine lozenge but everytime i have tried to quit when taking these after about 2-3 weeks my anxiety kicks in quite bad.i have actually tried to quit 4-5 times the first 2 attempts i thought it was a bit of a coincidence but when it kept happening i thoght about there being something in it.any help or advice would be great sorry my first post is so long lol

take care everyone

ozzy:)

Patty
20-05-09, 12:04
Hi Ozzy, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I have read about a lot of people who say that taking more exercise & a good diet has helped them with anxiety.

I have heard that the Allen Carr book is good for stopping smoking.

Best wishes :)

Veronica H
20-05-09, 15:14
:welcome: ozzy. Exercise has helped a great deal with my panic/anxiety as it helps burn off some adrenalin. I gave up coffee too as it would send my heart racing.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'self help for your nerves', published by Thorsons. This is available from the NMP Shop. Her work can also be downloaded free to your MP3 from the shop. I can not recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover.

Veronica