PDA

View Full Version : Endocarditis

Onward
20-05-09, 03:24
I want to first thnak all of you who have offered advice (Paige you have been great). I am trying to get through this healing process and need you some more. As some of you know I got out of the hosp. a week ago after having an ICD/Pacemaker put in. One of the guidlines is that you have to take antibiotics before dental procedures. I know this will sound extreme but I flossed tonight and some minor blood was in my mouth. When I did the thing I wasn't supposed to do (check Google) they spoke of endocarditis and I am wondering if this procedure could preciptate it? I asked my wife her opinion and she immediately fluffed it off (in a kind way) but it has consumed me with fear. Like I said, I want the healing to continue and think I have been doing well. I simply figured tha many people bleed a bit when flossing or brushing and have hypertrophic cardiomyopthy (my diagnosis) and have no issues. Please let me know and thank you - I will be checking back often.

countrygirl
20-05-09, 11:12
A friend of mine has an artificial valve in his heart and is on warfarin and he has to take antibiotics before dental extractions but not before hygeniest cleaning or fillings. I think its only for the risk after extractions because obviously the bacteria in the mouth can get into the blood stream from an extraction.

Obvioulsy only your cardiologist can tell you for definite as on here we only know enough to frighten ourselves:blush: .

When I was having ladies problems I told the gyny that I had severe health anxiety and she was happy to answer all my questions and I could even email her secretary with queries and her secretary sent the anwers back to me - its worth a try if you haven't already told your cardiologist/secretary and see if you can do the same for your peace of mind.

Just a little thought from me:)

CJH86
20-05-09, 18:36
Hiya.....i have an atrial septal defect and i have to have the antibiotics before dentist tratment, also due to an increased risk of endocarditis post dental treatment (its only very slight increased risk!). I take comfort in the fact i went through many dental procedures before knowing about my heart problem, made my gums bleed through flossing and brushing my teeth many times and never got endocarditis!

Infact good dental hygiene reduces the risk of these things occuring (in anybody) even more :)

Stop googling! Google convinced me i had CJD....and now a brain tumor!!:doh:

Onward
24-05-09, 00:38
I appreciate your time. I am trying to calm down. I guess this "invasion" has gotten me a bit spooked and I feel nervous about everything. I know it sounds crazy but even the prospect of teeth brushing has gotten me frightened.

CJH86, you make a great point about having this before we knew and nothing taking place. I guess after this minor surgery, I just see myself as more vulnerable and that makes me sad and scared; it's cyclical. :weep: