PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram during pregnancy

Tori Frances
21-05-09, 20:38
Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of taking Citalopram whilst pregnant? I am not pregant but want to start a family and feel I will need to be on Citalopram for the long term. It basically is enabling me to function. I have been on antidepressants for many years and had very bad experiences when not taking them. My doctor says it is about balance between the saftey of mother and baby and that in my case it would be better to stay on them. My husband however says he will absolutely not consider having a baby whilst I am on any medication that poses any risk. I am terrified that we will not be able to overcome this issue. Please advise.

anxiouschick
22-05-09, 11:40
Tori, I am in a very similar position to you. I posted earlier this week, but only had 1 reply. I've managed to get down to 10mg Citalopram, but don't feel that I can get much lower than this without some truly horrible side effects. It's been a struggle to get to this stage and I would be worried about pregnancy being an anxious time any way.

I'm thinking of trying for a baby later this year, but my husband is against this whilst I'm taking med. I'm also concerned about effects on the baby's health etc. Doctors I have seen have been little help and there doesn't seem to have been many studies conducted as to how it affects the baby. I know breast feeding is not advised.

I'm sure plenty of people have had no problems taking this drug through pregnancy, but I'm just not sure. Feel a bit stuck at the moment to be honest.
Anxiouschick