PDA

View Full Version : I thought I would pass this information on

mick_uk
22-05-09, 07:27
I had to have a small operation on my nose yesterday and after the op they couldn't give me painkillers straight away because they wanted to see how tender my nose was.
The surgeon then told me best way to breathe when in pain or when anxious was NOT to take deep breaths but to breathe slowly using abdominal breathing and not chest breathing and to make sure that you exhale for two or three seconds longer than you inhale. So I used three seconds inhale and five seconds exhale.
I had read this before but it good to hear it from a professional. Certainly worked for the pain relief. (not as good as the painkillers,but it worked ) :D
Thought I would just pass this information on.

take care

mick

diane07
22-05-09, 07:42
Cheers for that mick, i too have heard that before, it was while i was in labour actually, i found if i concentrated on it hard enough it worked well.

best wishes

di xx

mummyto4
22-05-09, 08:25
Thanks Mick
Hope your feeling ok after the op
:)
x

mick_uk
22-05-09, 08:34
Feel good thnx mummyto4 :D
I nearly ran out of cotton swabs during the night and was considering sticking frozen oven chips up my nose instead :scared15:
Hopefully my sinuses will improve now

take care

mick

Jaco45er
22-05-09, 08:46
Hiya Mick.

I was told that your chest shouldn't move, and if you put your hand on your tummy, that should be the only section that rises and falls.

Try doing that during a panic attack, takes some doing I can tell ya ;)

Hope you're better soon chap

TC

Jaco

mummyto4
22-05-09, 08:48
You never fail to make me smile Mick!
:)
x

mick_uk
22-05-09, 08:53
Thanks Jaco,
Yeah your right, your chest should hardly move, and like you said it's not easy to do when you're in panic mode :D
I guess it's worth practising it when you're calm (calm!!!! what is that word LOL)
I used to be so laid back...now I'm like zebedee on acid !
take care
mick