PDA

View Full Version : dry mouth and throat

T89
22-05-09, 10:27
Hi everyone

I've had this lump in my throat feeling for just over a week now and it is steadily getting worse! I feel like I've got phlegm stuck there which just won't shift and looking around the site I see that this is a common problem. The thing is I've started waking up in my sleep with my mouth totally dry-no saliva at all and my throat feeling really tight and then, of course, I panic thinking I can't breathe.I have to take a drink of water before I can go back to sleep and I wake up with the same feeling. This has only happened the past few days but about a week ago I started fearing going to bed thinking I wouldn't wake up and now this is really freaking me out because I wake up and all I can feel is this really dry mouth,tight throat and then the fear that I can't breath. I don't even know if I am breathing when this happens because I'm just so scared that its waking me up. Is this just normal anxiety and has anyone else ever woken up feeling their mouth is like sandpaper and their throat is blocked?

Thanks

LisaLisa
26-05-09, 13:09
Totally!

Its just anxiety, but I think you know that.

Its seems to get worse at night and I think that maybe its because of sleeping with mouth open, i have noticed if my nose is stuffy its much much worse. Dry mouth is caused by anxiety and if you have GAD, you might have a dry mouth all the time, even when you thinks your not anxious. I do. The dry mouth is a natrual reaction to the stress hormones in your body and your body will not let anything bad happen to you as a result. These reactions are to help you not cuase you probs breathing, you will honestly by fine. See these symptoms for what they are , just anxiety.

Hope you start to forget about this soon
:hugs:
Lisa
cccc

Daisybun
29-05-09, 19:53
I have this at the moment, just rev=covering after a long bout of colds, sinus problems but it may well be anxiety. Just been given more antibiotics and sent for blood tests and chest xray

T89
30-05-09, 00:27
Thanks for the replies:) Not as bad now that I'm convinced I have something else wrong with me...funny that :blush:

Thanks for your advice Lisa and hope you feel better soon Daisybun.

tracy1972
30-05-09, 00:52
i know exactly how you feel going through it as well now caught flu and gt chunks of dry as the doctors call it bogeys that have dried out and stuck in my throat and i wake up every hour trying to get rid of it and then the anxiety kicks in and it gets worse feeling i cant breathe hence y i am on here at this time of night usually fast asleep by now so i would say anxiety as well tc xxxx:bighug1:

jeffreyd49
12-10-12, 22:02
Hi everyone

I've had this lump in my throat feeling for just over a week now and it is steadily getting worse! I feel like I've got phlegm stuck there which just won't shift and looking around the site I see that this is a common problem. The thing is I've started waking up in my sleep with my mouth totally dry-no saliva at all and my throat feeling really tight and then, of course, I panic thinking I can't breathe.I have to take a drink of water before I can go back to sleep and I wake up with the same feeling. This has only happened the past few days but about a week ago I started fearing going to bed thinking I wouldn't wake up and now this is really freaking me out because I wake up and all I can feel is this really dry mouth,tight throat and then the fear that I can't breath. I don't even know if I am breathing when this happens because I'm just so scared that its waking me up. Is this just normal anxiety and has anyone else ever woken up feeling their mouth is like sandpaper and their throat is blocked?

Thanksi wake up in a joilt dry mouth and dry throat like i cant breath for a secound just like you described i also have high axnitey do i have sleep apena

Anxious_gal
13-10-12, 04:18
I think at night you're breathing through your mouth, that will dry it out pretty bad.
Maybe try some sugar free gum when you wake up, or water.

I found water and lemon or even coke can help clear phlegm stuck in throat.
I think the acid breaks it down. I get a lot of it on the left side, I can feel it there but it's too hard to get up so I try to ignore it.
I have a sinus issue too which is just adding to it I think.

susan1963
13-10-12, 19:10
hiya, i get the tight throat, lump ect but with me its excess saliva, at the same time as the tightenings, rather than the dry throat, its very frightening but i find if i dont stress it wears off, also i suck mint imperials when i get these awfall symptoms and it works a treat for me :)

smit
13-10-12, 20:07
I "overcame" this symptom with ice lollys and mints when it got unbearable .
Also every time you feel it just tell yourself its only anxiety, and that although its not a nice feeling you can bare it and it Will go away

sparkle_1979
16-10-12, 09:50
I have had this for a month and its prob my worst symptom, I'm finding it hard to believe this is anxiety, thank god for all the posts here on it

Thenevrousone
29-08-13, 06:19
Hey guys im 16 and from the uk.

I have just recoverd from a bout of glandular fever which unfortunatly I have had for nearly over a year. It has caused me to be in and out of hostpital and lead me to see a number of doctors anyway to cut a long story short the months of being stuck in hostpital and in my room at home with nobody to talk to etc. has left me with slight anxiety and depression (which I thought had almost gone).

Anyway this morning about 5:37 I woke up randomly (now I normally sleep in to 11 so this is strange for me) and I felt like my throat is very tight and like I can't breath easily as well as I could before. My first thought is that I might have just a normal dry and soar throat that my anxiety has just given me the tight throat and tight chest. I went to see my mum who is down the hall from me she just told me to drink water ( she is fed up with all the anxiety 'problems' I have so isn't very worried when ever I say stuff like this anymore). So I drank the water but nothing has help I'm still sat here at my computer panicking away about my throat I would love some advice or your opinions on the situation. :scared15:

christy97914
11-02-17, 17:47
I am sorry that you are going trough this. Please read this, I'm sure you'll find some relief
articlehow.info/no-more-drymouth-journey