PDA

View Full Version : Metallic taste in my mouth

Cygfa
22-05-09, 17:18
I've got this metallic taste in my mouth and it's driving me daft! I had it last month around and after my period, then it went away, now it's nearly totm again and it's coming back. So I'm kinda thinking the two are related. It's only on the right half of my tongue funnily enough. I mentioned it to my GP last week and she says it's nothing to worry about unless I get other symptoms like loss of sense of taste or smell.

Has anyone else had this before? Help! :unsure:

Thanks xx

agent orange
22-05-09, 17:27
yes i have a burnt feeling with a metalic taste, i was checked for iron levels as low iron can cause this, but nothing.

nomorepanic
22-05-09, 17:38
This is from the Symptoms page on the left...

Lack of appetite or taste, a tinny, metallic or ammonia smell or taste

What you feel:

Sometimes you just don’t feel like eating, or the thought of food is unappealing. Or, that even though you are eating, the food has no taste or is unsatisfying.

You have a persistent ‘tinny’, ‘metallic’ or ‘ammonia’ smell in your nose, or you taste it often and it’s not from your food or environment. Often it’s just there, but you can’t figure out why

What causes this:

Similar to the other stomach related symptoms, loss of appetite is a result of an upset stomach due to the sustained increase in digestive action. Loss of taste occurs because taste buds are nerves, and an over stimulated nervous system can send false signals to the brain which means that sometimes we can experience odd, dulled or incorrect sensory perceptions (since our receptive senses are controlled and interpreted by the nervous system). The loss of taste because of this miscommunication or misinterpretation by the over stimulated nervous does occur. This is another example of how we can receive incorrect or inaccurate sensory perceptions because of an over stimulated nervous system.

The only remedy for this symptom is rest so that the nervous system can regain its health.

miss diagnosis
22-05-09, 19:38
i had this but it was caused by gum disease.im getting treated at the dentist for this now. are ur gums swollen at all?

justbananas
23-05-09, 18:20
i've had this before during a panic attack so i'm assuming adrenaline/anxiety can bring it about just like any other symptom. my mom has it round the clock and according to her ENT, it's due to issues with sinus, allergies, and the membranes in her nose. it really is nothing to worry about.

jellis0226
25-05-09, 06:24
Is there a possibility that you are pregnant? Metallic tastes in your mouth can be an early symptom of pregnancy. Hope you feel better soon!:)

Cygfa
25-05-09, 15:35
Thanks everyone. I've noticed that sometimes I don't notice the metallic taste until I think about it, tells me a story really huh?

Jellis0226 I'm sterilised and have a period just now so I hope I'm not pregnant, would be something of a miracle :D but I've heard about that before, metallic taste as a sign of pregnancy.

xx

dave1234
25-05-09, 16:02
I've had this on and off for about a year now - dentist says its the old filings becoming slightly coroded (the old mecury fillings only last 5 years i think). Getting replacements in a month or so.

agent orange
25-05-09, 16:17
I have just been reading about burning mouth syndrome, which can be a cause, and it is a medically unexplained symptom. We seem to suffer from a lot of these, i seem to, according to the doctor lol.

TammyWammy66
30-06-09, 20:24
Hello everyone,
I am new here and I also developed the metallic taste/smell. I woke up one morning and I had it and for 3 weeks since. I have regained my taste of food but still have a thick coating on my tongue and sometimes my tongue is yellow in the back part of it. I usually brush my tongue with baking soda and it goes away but it comes back.
I was on azithromycin for what they told me was a sinus infection and I also took amoxicillan for bronchitus. Istill have this metallic taste/smell but it goes and comes back sometimes stronger then before but what alarms me is the dry mouth that comes to and feels like my air way will go shut. I panic when I get this,my doctor told me this is nothing to worry about but how can he say that. He told me he don't know how to get rid of it or where it came from. It has been causing me severe panic attacks lately.
Anyone else have all these symptoms ? and are they anxiety or do i have a problem health wise ?
Any info will be greatly appreiciated,
Thank You,
TammyWammy66 :(

TammyWammy66
30-06-09, 20:59
i've had this before during a panic attack so i'm assuming adrenaline/anxiety can bring it about just like any other symptom. my mom has it round the clock and according to her ENT, it's due to issues with sinus, allergies, and the membranes in her nose. it really is nothing to worry about.

When I first got the metallic taste/smell I also had a very very dry mouth/throat and felt my airway would go shut and panic'ed. Does or did your mom have a severe dry mouth/throat with her's ? my doc's can't tell me where this has come from nor what it is nor how to get rid of it.
TammyWammy66