PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobic and Blind

Ptrwills
22-05-09, 19:32
Hi everyone I do hope someone out there can advise me.I am a support worker for a young man with agoraphobia but who is also blind.We live in Wolverhampton and I am having to fight for every single bit of care for him.We have been told there is no therapy available for agoraphobics in their own homes.How ridiculous is that.If he could get out he wouldnt need it.How do you other people get therapy at home on the NHS

PoppyC
22-05-09, 20:10
Hi & Welcome!
You sound like a great carer to this young man! I am glad he has you as his carer! :yesyes:
Personally speaking I have never been able to have therapy for my agoraphobia at home and have always had to travel to therapy - but that's just in my case - others may say differently. It may vary from area to area too. I have had CPN's call to see me at home but that was for my anxiety. Does the man you care for have visits off a CPN? Maybe she/he could arrange counselling at home for the agoraphobia?
I really would have thought that in certain cases when requested enough, that therapy could be held at home. What have you been told so far? Have you spoken to the Gp about this?
I feel its terrible & I don't think there is hardly anywhere near the appropriate care there should be for people with all types of mental health issues in this country.

sb001f8994
22-05-09, 20:12
Hi,
Im agoraphobic and had a visit from a psychiatrist two years ago who informed my doctor he coulddnt help but suggested I would benefit from counselling. I can not get a counsellor to visit my home as these are not done on the NHS.
It is really ridiculous as you say if we could get out we wouldnt need the counselling!
Best wishes.
Carol x

Ptrwills
22-05-09, 20:43
Ah Bless you all.I could have hit the psychologist when he said there is no more they can do for him other than drug him up and force him into a car to get to therapy.He has had OT workers.They just smil and nod their heads.AArgh No CPN but cant see how GP could help unless they are funded separately from Mental Health

PoppyC
22-05-09, 20:50
I think maybe the GP could arrange for a CPN to go out and give counselling at home - maybe he wont too, but its worth a try.
Have you contacted any of the blind organisations to see what they can suggest? MIND might be able to advise you further too.

eeyorelover
22-05-09, 20:54
Check out this link...
http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/health_social_care_2/adult_social_care/physical_sensory_diasbilities/Visual+impairments.htm

Could you ring them up and ask them about it?
They would probably know ways around the issues you are having at the moment.
Good luck and keep us posted :)
xxx
Sandy

sunshine-lady
23-05-09, 00:57
Well done for being such a caring and understanding person and for caring so much, and of course welcome to NMP!

I am agoraphobic. I get a lot of support at home as well as going to a resource centre close by twice per week (I am provided with transport along with another man who lives close to me) My Support worker from my centre comes to my home once a week for 2 hours to offer CBT, my CPN calls every 2 weeks as well. My GP visits me at home occasionaly and I also have a distict nurse who comes to take my blood pressure and regular blood tests due to the medication that I am taking. I didn't ask for any of this support, it was arranged by my CMHT. I think it is because I am considered as an 'at risk' patient and am in secondary care ... I get this all free on the NHS. I know that I am very lucky and that too many people are being let down very badly by the services that are supposed to help them.

Sorry for waffling, but there is care available at home and I am sure if you client got a good social worker/CPN they would get things moving for him.

Take care xxxx

london
23-05-09, 04:33
dont stand there lies he can get help at home telll them if thay dont get a move on your go to the papers
good luck

Ptrwills
25-05-09, 20:08
Thanks to everyone for ideas.It seems it depends where you live and how local Primary trust has allocated their funds.Itsa total catch 22.Cant get help but cant get out to get the help available.Have managed to negotiate new care package for him but Mental health have now passed him to Social Services.AArgh.Going to his MP and yes then the papers.Not having this!!If any agoraphobics out there,especially young ones would be sooograteful for E Mail addresses I could give him to help with his loneliness.God Bless Pat