PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone

juju357
23-05-09, 02:20
Hello everyone,

Im a 28 year old male student nurse who lives in manchester city centre (UK). I have been suffering from severe panic attacks, agoraphobia, depersonalisation and episodes of depression for about 11 years, i believe these problems where triggered by heavy cannabis use and occasional psychedelic drug use in my teens.

I have had respite from my problems with SSRI/SNRI medication, I was initially put on 150mg Seroxat (Paxil/Paroxetine) which did me wonders, i was on it for about 2 years but came off it as it gave me problems with nausea and mania. I was off it about 3 years but my problems came back.

I then went on 75 mg Effexor XR for a number of years which helped massivley, but sadly i started having similar problems as well as mens problems :blush: , aggression, self harm and mania. Coming off Effexor was the hardest thing I ever did in my life and the rebound of not having the drug in my system left me suicidally depressed, suffering chronic DP and crippling panic attacks, I went on low doses of antipsychotics (flupentixol/chlorpramazine) which helped the panic attacks but made me violently sick and feel like i had a head full of cotton wool so i stopped taking them.

I made lifestyle changes, i cut sugar, caffeine and nicotine out of my life and started going to the gym a lot, which made the world of difference, as well as taking supplements such as 5HTP, Omega 3, Vit B12 and magnesium. Although this helped A LOT i was still having problems with DP and panic attacks, just less severely and less frequently.

Ive struggled for long enough now, about 6 weeks ago i decided to get help, my doctor gave me diazepam, which was wonderfull:yesyes: but sadly only temporary due to its addictive nature, this gave me a little respite for a week or so, after this he prescribed me Propranalol which I can honestly say did absolutley nothing for me at all.

I went back and got prescribed 10 mg Citalopram, Ive been taking it for 12 days now and despite some intial side effects im starting to feel much, much better (though not 100% just yet), im due for a review in 3 days time and hes going to up my dose to 20mg.

Anyway thats my story, look foward to sharing experiences with everyone, I would love to speak to other citalopram users to see how well it has worked for them, i would also like to speak to other people who have suffered with DP as side effect of anxiety as its not something I come across in many other people.

Thanks for listening,

God bless.

Rous
23-05-09, 09:04
Welcome to NMP JuJu,:welcome:

ye'll find help here in the forums & friends in the Chatroom.:shades: