PDA

View Full Version : Rocking, Swaying Dizziness Back Again

girlrock
23-05-09, 08:37
Hi All,

I haven't posted on here much recently, especially for myself. I was almost getting ready to write up a success story to post in that forum. I have been doing very well with my HA and have managed to completely stop Googling(well random symptoms anyway).

My problem that I'm having now is that I have this rocking, swaying dizziness...like being on a boat. I think I may have posted about it back in January when my HA was at its worst. Anyway...I had it in January, March, and now again in May.

The first time I had it for a week. I ended up the emergency room because it was so severe that I was very nauseous from it. The doctor there said I had fluid in my ear and that it was probably a viral inner ear infection. In March, it lasted for 2 weeks but less severe. I saw my regular doctor right after it subsided(about 2 days later). He did a test where he had me lie down and check my blood pressure and pulse, sat me up quickly, asked if it made me dizzy, I said Yes, checked my blood pressure and pulse again, then had me jump off the table and repeat one more time. He said my blood pressure and pulse were fine so it can't be that. I don't remember if he looked in my ears but again, he said probably my ears and told me to try a decongestant such as Sudafed the next time it happened and if it doesn't stop, possibly have to have tubes put into my ears. Also said it probably isn't anything with brain since I just had a CT scan in July with and without contrast and things don't usually pop up that quickly.

Well its back again and I'm trying the Sudafed. I actually do have a lot of ear pain this time(which I didn't have the last 2 times)...not sure if that is beacause the Sudafed or what. Anyway...I'm interested in hearing if anyone has gone through something similar. I'm at my wits end with this! I'm so sick of being sick, it's not even funny. I don't believe it is anxiety because I haven't been feeling anxious. I get anxious after the dizziness starts of course but not leading up to it. It happens out of the clear blue sky...lasts for a week or two and then will leave out of the clear blue sky again. I just don't understand why I would be having sudden ear problems now at 24 years old and why does it happen every other month like clockwork?

I don't think its BPPV, Meneire's, or Mal de Debarquement(I did go on a cruise last June with some sea legs when I got back but the dizzies didn't start until January) but you never know.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

agent orange
23-05-09, 09:35
I have some very similiar symptoms, swaying, dizziness and weak legs and a constant pressure in my head, I was worried about a neurlogical problem and the doctor said no it was'nt, but I saw a neuro who said clinical was excellent , but he would send me for an MRI, which showed nothing. I have had these symptoms for over 2 years and I am exhausted with it. I do have sinus problems, but am not sure. Yours could be similiar to mine?

countrygirl
23-05-09, 09:49
EAr viruses can be very persistant - my son and a friend have over the years had one that kept recurring. My son was 13 yrs old when he first had one and he had to walk holding the wall for a week and it took him about 3 weeks to be okay BUT everytime he got very stressed or very tired he would wake up with it back for 48 hrs. Seemed to happen about 3 times a year. This continued until he was in his early 20's! A work friend also had it during severe stress in her life and was off work a month flat on her back in bed and again over the following years everytime she was tired or very stressed she would be off again for a week at a time and this went on for years.

So it may be you originally had an ear virus. I have huge sympathy for you as I have attacks of vertigo and know just how horrible and frightening it is and how anxious it makes you - I almost stopped going out for fear of it happening a few years ago.

girlrock
23-05-09, 22:57
Thank you so much for your replies. You definately made me feel a lot better. I started off fine today, woke up with no dizziness. I took it easy for about 3 hours after I woke up and then my boyfriend and I went to the store. About half way through our shopping, the dizziness struck me again. I sure hope it is just something with my ears. I'm getting a pressure in my chest also when I lean over to pick something up off the floor or something like that. That's also been going on for a few days.

Any more replies would be appreciated. It makes me feel better to hear those "I had that and I was fine" or "I knew someone that had that" stories. :)

drummermike
23-05-09, 23:05
Feel free to read my first post ... what you describe IS the reason for my anxiety problems. Not the other way around. Been like this for going on 3 years now. I so feel your pain. It has stopped from socializing and many more things. And it also contributes to spaciness.

Tink
23-05-09, 23:25
I get this on and off. got it now as I type, feel like I am swaying really strange feeling. was at my mum and dads before and my mum was talking to me but felt really spaced out and was like not quite with them but 5 mins after was ok. it is a very strange feeling. I have also had mri scan done and all fine. Also have bad sinus' too.

girlrock
24-05-09, 00:09
I haven't had any scans aside from a CT scan last January as I said before. I don't think that helps my HA either since I'm considering a blood-sucking tumor someWHERE in my body that no one knows about. Or a fast growing brain tumor, or MS. Just have to keep reminding myself that I wouldn't have ear pain with those other conditions I suppose, right?

Mike--I read your first post..very interesting. I'm from PA, also. Are you still living here or did you move back to NY?