PDA

View Full Version : First time Panic Attack

scottmu65
24-05-09, 14:02
hi there, i am new here and really need some advice, im 20 years old and always suffered from depression/avoidant personailty disorder but the last year or so ive started feeling anxiety and paranoia more and more, lately it hhas just become unbearable, and yesterday i started receiving threats of my ex girlfriends male friend on facebook, i cudnt sit still with worry, i ran and sat on my bedroom floor for about an hour just shaking, when i eventually managed to bring myself back downstairs and sit at the computer i couldnt breathe, my heart was pounding so much my chest hurt, then i couldnt stop shaking or sobbing, i thought i was gonna die, it lasted about 10 minutes. then the rest of the day i just felt tired and weak, my chest kept hurting, then my shoulders, neck and head started hurting.

I dont know what to do, ive never had a panic attack in my life until now, i dont want it to become regular, but i feel like im about to have one right now as im writing this.

please help.

sb001f8994
24-05-09, 15:16
Hi and welcome to nmp. Ive found this site very informative and in chat theres always someone on hand to offer help and support. Im sorrry you are suffering right now, Ive recently discovered that if I dont fight against the panic it goes away much quicker. The more you fight it the longer it stays. When a panic attacks I just sit down and go with it, its hard to explain this but I used to run all over the house, couldnt keep still and in some way trying to hide from it or run away from it. Distractiing yourself is also useful, Ive been known to recite the times tables right through in the midst of a pa and its worked for me.
I hope this has been a bit useful to you.
Take care
Carol

Rachel_123
24-05-09, 19:43
hi there :)

ive been getting panic attacks for a couple of months and i can still vividly remember my first. the best thing you can do is educate yourself about panic attacks as much as you can. once you understand whats happening to your body and mind, you learn that its not so bad.

i hope you feel well soon x