PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

KR
24-05-09, 16:15
Hello everyone,

Thought I'd say hello and introduce myself and give a bit of background.

I am 33 years old and had my first panic attack about 12 years ago. I had recently come back from university and was feeling a bit depressed as I didn't know what I wanted to do, my parents had just divorced, etc etc. So I went to the doctor's who prescribed me Prozac - and on the fifth day of taking it I had my first panic attack - nice! :yesyes: Didn't take them for much longer, but unfortunately the panic problem stayed with me. :shrug: At one point early on I was agoraphobic - for about a week I didn't leave the house. Then my Dad drove me to an appointment at MIND, I was crying in fear as we were driving down our road. Anyway I was pretty bad for a while, but I have gradually got myself a bit better, although I sometimes have relapses, although I've never been as bad as I was then.

I avoid getting on the tube and planes. I can go on motorways and longer train journeys round the UK, although it would be an effort, and I get anticipatory anxiety before hand which is so annoying. I seem to be okay on public transport within London (buses and overground). I'm thinking of going to the Isle of Wight this summer - would be an effort, but there's a ferry ride which would be good practise if I ever wanted to get the ferry to France, for example. I've got a very understanding mum who doesn't mind coming with me on these trips!

Currently having some CBT with a really nice lady who comes out and about with me - the first time I've found anyone to do this with. Really want to master the tube as would make getting to work so much easier. And really want to start getting on planes again as haven't had a proper holiday for years! I sometimes go for weeks away in England, which is ok though, at least that's something! I am single and always worry what potential partners might think of me having this thing - when I told my last boyfriend he just laughed and shrugged it off though, so that gives me some hope. I also worry about what if I have children and I can't take them on holiday? That would be so sad.

Absolutely sick and tired of this stupid phobia and wish it would go away - my job has settled down now and I am going to put a lot more effort into tackling this. Pisses me off SO much, as I used to love going travelling, I wouldn't blink at the thought of a 24 hour flight, so I'm glad I got a lot of travelling done before all this happened!

Not sure what the cause of my anxiety is - whether it's the prozac or whether I would have got it anyway.

Would love to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

KR xx

KR
24-05-09, 16:19
Sorry for the length of the message!

And I forgot to say I don't take any medication at all now - I actually have a slight fear of medication now (because I think that's maybe what started this in the first place), so I try and do exercise, take vitamin B, meditate etc etc... although I certainly don't always remember to do these things and more often than not I can be found on my sofa with a tube of pringles for comfort!!

Orange
24-05-09, 17:59
Hi!
I can relate to a lot of your experiences, especially realating to agoraphobia. I can't get onto trains or buses on my own and wouldn't dream of getting onto an airplane after having two instances of having panic attacks on the plane-it's scared me from ever wanting to try again.
I've never been to CBT before although it's been recommended to me, but currently working on a book-course which I think is similar in style but doesn't need me to go anywhere and speak to someone in person!
Anyway, welcome to this site and I hope you find it as useful as lots of us have :)
Orange

Vanilla Sky
24-05-09, 18:03
Welcome to NMP KR , you have found the right place , the chatroom is fun and you can share your experiences , you are not alone Love Paige x