PDA

View Full Version : RETURNING TO WORK AFTER THE SUMMER HOL'S

pips
30-08-05, 12:37
Hi all,

Just need to get this of my chest really.

I’m really working myself up about going back to work next week after having 7 weeks summer holiday of and I’m feeling so anxious about going back. [Sigh...]

I work in a college for the visually impaired and some with special needs.

We will have new students and supposedly new staff. As we have just had 3 good members of staff leave to pursue other careers.

The thing is it’s hard to get staff to cover the boarding side of the college where I work as it’s a lot of shift work and sleep-ins. The problem I have is that we are short staffed and as I only work part time. There is only 2 of us who work part time me and an older lady.

I always feel pressured into doing overtime and sometimes I just don’t want it! Hubby has a lot of extra hours and night shifts which I hate him being away at night so I won’t hardly see him either.

So I end up saying no to the overtime (well sometimes)[Duh!] and making excuses and then end up feeling really guilty. No one at work knows I suffer. I can hide it well and if I feel really bad I escape to the toilet or somewhere and get a few deep breaths.

It’s nice to have the summer off I just find it really hard to go back. It feels like starting a new job all over again. Which is crazy as I’ve been there nearly 2 years now. Never mind. Sorry for the moan. I’m sure I will be fine when I get back into it! I just wind myself up I’m my own worst enemy at times! :(

I'm of to Cornwall for a couple of days tomorrow so hopefullly that will revitalise me![8D]

I just feel so nervous like I've lost all my confidence [8)] about going back to work.[:I]

Any quick fixes or ideas on how to feel more confident would be great! Cheers:D

Thanks for letting me waffle,

Take care all,;)

Love & Wishes,

PIP'S X X [:O] X X

kate
30-08-05, 13:24
Hi Pips,

As you know I'm in the same boat as you!

I go back to work on Monday after the long summer break and I'm not looking forward to it either.

I think we get used to just doing our own thing over the hols and to go back to a routine of being at work for several hours a day seems too overwhelming.

I'm sure though that after the first day back we wont feel that we have had a break! Once the old routine is back in place, we will feel comfortable again and start looking forward to the next holiday!

Pips, you are no doubt contracted for a set number of working hours per week and if you don't want to work over time, then you don't have to! Don't feel guilty or feel that you have to work the extra hours, they will have to take on extra staff if they are that stretched.

Enjoy your break in Cornwall and I'm sure your confidence in yourself at work will return once DAY 1 is out of the way!

Kate x

tulip123
30-08-05, 15:33
Same here Pips. I return to work on Monday and this week I'm really suffering (one of the worse periods for a long time. I cannot think why but oh well). One wonders why we have holidays??? Last night I got no sleep whatsoever which is rare - adrenalin attacks just when I start to dose. The circle of worry and anxiety is also distressing me as I get less of a break from it. I can feel the clock ticking away to day 1.

On the other side - one thing I know for sure is that it will pass when I get back into the routine and the only defense against it I have found to have any good is to keep active - so I aim for exercise and to have nights out with friends up until day 1 (Challenges to pass). I am also aiming not to engage with negative or irrational thoughts I keep getting. I have been through this before and perhaps worse as I was younger so I keep up my rescue plans.

I do hope you feel better soon. Not long now. The build up to anything is so often worse than the thing itself (fear of fear). Oh well back to work before I go out for a nice big walk in the sun :).

Regards Tulip

pips
30-08-05, 17:00
Thanks so much for your kind understanding replies Kate & Tulip.

I know its always the anticipatory anxiety that is the worse. You think I'd get used to it by now!

Going to start practicing some comforting POSITIVE thoughts and get the negative irrational ones out!!!!

I wish you both the best of luck back at work to.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X X X

Piglet
30-08-05, 17:56
Pips,

I used to work in school for four years and know exactly what you mean.

I did used to find after a couple of days back I was okay again though, so I guess its the anticipatory stuff again.

Now its more about the kids being at home than the work thing and I miss them like mad when they go back, me and my youngest would love nothing more than to potter away our days doing this and that and consuming chocolate on a regular basis. I dont think I was made for routine as I just love that freedom of no paticular time no particular place (dont we all lol).

Will be thinking of you on Monday and as Meg always says think of it as paid distraction.

Love Pig xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

nomorepanic
30-08-05, 19:03
Pips

I feel like that after a week off lol so what you must feel like!

I hate going back after time off and it takes me a day or 2 to settle back in again. You will settle back in ok I am sure so try to forget it till next week so it doesn't ruin your holiday ok?

I hope you have a fab time in Cornwall and it doesn't rain like it did for us!!

Take care and catch up when you get back.

xx

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

pips
30-08-05, 19:56
Thanks so much Piglet and Nic for you kind replies. It's helps so much knowing you understand.

I know there wil be alot of changes when I go back and i think that's whats making me anxious. Must move on though and deal with it huh!

Thanks again,

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Kristi Pipkin
30-08-05, 22:36
Hi Pips

Just wanted to let you know that I went back to work today after a 10 day break I had also had a four week avoidance blip of going on the bus as I had one of my first panic attacks going to work and had insisted on my boyfriend taking and collecting me from work.

The first part of the holiday was fine, but as I was nearing the end and having to contemplate going back to work, my attacks were happening on a regular basis and I thought I was going completely crazy. Having found this website, with all the positive thinking initiatives and looking at all the personal stories, it gave me a new lease of life and armed with my positive thoughts I caught the bus! There were a few moments but I managed to calm myself down and praised myself for doing so :D Being at work was a little shakey but I have been embracing all the positive things which I have overcome today and am on a bit of a high at the moment. I know that I am going to have good days and bad days and that hopefully the bad days will get fewer and fewer.

I just wanted to let you know that you can do this, it can be tough but it's worth it in the end :)

Meg
30-08-05, 22:38
Kristi

Well done . Thats fabulous to hear that you managed to put it all into practice so soon and got there and did really well.

Congratulations

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Maddieg
30-08-05, 22:50
Hi Pips,

I'm in the same boat as you...i go back to work after summer hols next Monday and as you know from my recent posts that i'm having a tough time at the moment.

I was off work for 4 weeks before the summer hols only going back for the last 3 days of term. I work with children with special needs and i'm due to start a degree in September and a professional qualification in autism in January! I really don't know how i'm going to cope with everything...i thought i'd have "sorted myself out" by now and i can't believe that its nearly September!!!

Take care Pips - sending you lots of hugs

Maddie xx

pips
30-08-05, 23:25
Hi Kirsti & Maddie, Thanks so much for your replies.:D

Kirstie a BIG WELL DONE to you you did so well keep up the POSITIVE thoughts and I must practice mine to!

Maddie, Thanks for your reassurance it really helps. Good luck with your degree and qualification. That's Ace news and I'm sure you will get there. I hope all goes well for you to. Hugs back to you to.

Thanks again,

Take care,;)

Love PIP'S X X

jollywalrus
31-08-05, 08:49
Hi,

I will be starting a new job next week after 18 years at home. I originally applied for the job because I have felt so much better of late and I thought it would be good as part of my recovery. It is only four days a week. As time marches on though, I don't feel nearly so confident. I am worried about travelling on my own as I usually drag one of the kids with me and can I really do the job that I interviewed for? I guess only time will tell, but I know I have started to get that vague tummy feeling and those moments of off-balance that I get when I am anxious. I really want to do it, but I need to take those first steps.
Think I may have a dry run at it tomorrow when the kids are back at school. I feel quite melancholy that another summer is over.

Best wishes,
Christine

alexis
31-08-05, 09:25
Hi Pips I too am returning on Monday.
i have had summer holidays off for the last 15years and it is always hard to go back.
i love my job, it is ideal, perfect and rewarding but Im still dreading it, I also know it is the routine I need and Im sure when Im back things will be better following a difficult few weeks.
lets all say on Monday morning, well Im not alone theres Pips back and Kate etc etc and send good vibes round.
take care all you lucky people who get 6 weeks off. I am so glad I can work as at a few times I have considered never leaving the house again.
love Alexis,xx

tracyp584
01-09-05, 12:25
Hey Pips,

I know how you feel, as the dreaded school run starts Monday(aaaaaaaaaa!), I too will be thinking of everyone else, and hopefully some of them good vibes will catch up with me too!

I started CBT this week, so I have a few rational statements to take with me, whether thats enough, I'll soon find out!

Take care,

tracy x x

pips
03-09-05, 17:14
Thanks so much Christine, Alexis and Tracy for your great messages.

Christine i do hope the new job goes well for you. I think that's great that you are able to get back to work and i wish you the very best of luck!

Alexis - Thanks hun I will be thinking of you and sending you good vibes to. I don't start until 4pm so i've got the whole morning to wind myself up! Not that i will much at all!!!!!!!!LOL

Tracy - Good luck with the school run. I hope your CBT is going well for you to!

Take care all and thanks again,

Love PIP'S X X

sal
03-09-05, 18:16
Hi Pips

I find it hard to go back after a couple of weeks holiday so i can imagine how you will be feeling. But armed with your PMT i am sure that you will be fine.

You have to remember how strong you are and what you have been through. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes for you hun.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

pips
03-09-05, 19:32
Thanks for your kind words Sal,

I hope you are well mate. I will be in touch.

Take good care hun.

Loadsa Love

PIP'S X X X X

sal
04-09-05, 17:01
Hi Pips

Do let me know how it goes. I will be thinking of you and have every faith that you will be fine.

Take care and lots of PMT coming your way.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Meg
04-09-05, 17:43
Good luck to all who are heading back to work this week after holidays

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

alexis
04-09-05, 18:12
Thanks Meg, I would just like to reinforce the vibes to all of us, I am feeling really nervous about it, stupid because as Ive said so many times before I have the ideal job and support and it keeps me on the right track.Maybe its the events of this week and the boss being so nice saying work "as and when" I feel fit, take care all Love Alexis,xx

pips
04-09-05, 20:32
Thanks so much Sal Meg and Alexis!

"JFDI" HUH!

Take care,

Love and POSITIVE VIBES,

PIP'S X X X X

pinkscrumpy
05-09-05, 09:26
Good luck Pips

Let us know how it goes.

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

pips
05-09-05, 11:14
Thanks so much Mandie,

Only 5 hrs to go arghhhhhhhh!

I hope you are well.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

sal
06-09-05, 00:25
How is it going mate.

Thinking of you.

Lots of hugs xxxx

Love Sal xx

pips
06-09-05, 10:14
Hi Sal.:D

Many Thanks for your message and for thinking of me mate.;)

Well I went to work now and guess what I survived! Only just though!

I had forgotten just how demanding the students could be. At one point I had 10 different students on at me to help them with different things constantly calling my name or trying to as some have difficulty in saying it! So i was being called PIP, PIPPA, POPPA KIPPER you name it LOL I was called it![:O]

I felt like screaming[:P][Oops!] at one point but didn't really think that was appropriate given the circumstances! So i went out of the room took a few deep breaths and got back on with it.

I was coping ok and then the Deputy head of care said to me your working tomorrow morning aren't you. I said no I don't work Tuesday mornings. Well he said the Head of care had me down that I do work tuesday morning. The thing is she makes me so cross:( cause she changes my rota and never tells me!!!!!!! So that would mean me coming home last night 11.00pm and going back in just to do 2hrs 7/9am cause then they go to college and teaching staff take over.

So I'm not doing it this week but I won't see her till Thursday and I'm afraid she is gonna pester me then. The trouble is I am about 4 hrs under a week but I really don't want them. I'm worried that she will notice that. Luckly she hasn't as yet! and I will have to do it. I'm just content with what I'm doing now.

This morning I keep questioning myself and I'm worried that i can't do the job anymore.:( Maybe it's because it was my first day back? and everything was a bit chaotic Who knows.[?][Sigh...]

Sorry for going on Sal [Oops!]you won't ask again LOL!!

I do hope you are doing ok hun

How's Sam & work? and how's your chappie?

All well i hope,

You take good care, ;)

Loadsa Love & Hugs to you,

Love PIP'S XX XX [:X]

pinkscrumpy
06-09-05, 14:51
First days are always the worst Pips.

You did great - well done

love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

pips
07-09-05, 10:25
Thanks so much Mandie,

Hope you are well,

Take care,

Love Pip's X X

Piglet
07-09-05, 13:45
Hi pips,

Well despite the odd little niggly bit you did really well. Hopefully you will be able to keep the hours you want as you sound lovely at your job.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
07-09-05, 14:05
Great Pips

Just Say No ... works for work as well I discovered ..

Meg

pips
07-09-05, 15:27
Thanks so much Piglet for your kind words they meant so much thanks.

Meg Yes I Mean NO! LOL I know i'm rubbish at the NO thing. Better start practicing though huh! Thanks alot hun!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X X X

Karen
07-09-05, 18:12
Well done Pips. You coped so well.

I agree - just say no to them. Your wellbeing is more important, so don't let them pressure you into more hours that you don't want.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

dizzyd
07-09-05, 18:21
Well done Pips! After so long off the first day is quite an ordeal. I hold with what Meg said about saying 'NO'. I work in a school and we returned this week- I am a Teaching Asst. and had been given a great timetable of who I was supporting this year. Then the Head called me into her office and asked if I would change my timetable to accommodate the needs of another Teaching Asst. who wasn't happy with her timetable. The old me would have said - YES (people pleaser, problem fixer etc etc ) but I would have disliked the change. Guess what - I said NO! (then promptly apologised for not being able to assist etc!!) but the headteacher agreed that it was equally important for me to be happy with my decision. I felt so empowered and proud of myself. I put my feelings and thoughts first. It is a very long time since I have not tried to people please and fix others problems - but I now realise my feelings are equally important.
Hope this 'empowers' you to be able say NO!
Love Dawn x

pips
07-09-05, 22:50
Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for your kind words. I hope you are doing ok hun.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

pips
07-09-05, 22:56
Hi Dawn,

Many thanks for your reply hun. Well Done you for saying NO that's brillant i am proud of you!

Your post has made me think and realise I have to look out for myself at times. You are so right I can't say yes to eveything and be a people pleaser all the time. Try to solve everything and keep people happy is very difficult and impossible at times hey! Many thanks for the inspiration and I will do my best to be strong!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X