PDA

View Full Version : derealisation - help!

lioness
24-05-09, 19:31
ever since my first panic attack about a year ago i have suffered from feelings of derealisation...i feel like there is a barrier between me and the outside world, i.e. a barrier between me and living my life. these feelings vary from day-to-day, they're worse on some days and better on others, but i basically haven't had a break from them since my anxiety started.
is there an end in sight? how can i get over these feelings and live a normal life again? help, please, anyone x

bottleblond
24-05-09, 19:34
Hi there

Are you on any type of medication at all for your anxiety?

Lisa
x

lioness
24-05-09, 19:41
none yet, i haven't been prescribed anything as i've been reluctant to see go back to my GP as when i first went she seemed quite dismissive, although she admitted she thought it was anxiety she just said to come back if it got any worse :( x

bottleblond
24-05-09, 20:02
Ok hun! I would be enclined to go back for another chat. If you are not happy with the answers she is giving then remember it is your right to have a second opinion.

My DP gets very bad if i miss one of my meds and i know how horrid a feeling it is.

I'm not telling you to go on to meds but i would at least go talk to your GP again as you seem to have had it a long time without any relief.

Lisa
xx

AmandaL
25-05-09, 07:23
Hey,
I recently had a bout with derealization. It's totally awful. I'm SO sorry that that's happening to you. What really helped in my situation was to go out, and look good when I go out. I'd work really hard on being beautiful because it always helps to do something shallow when I get into those slumps. The second thing, act happy. Quit talking about how crappy you feel and keep a positive attitude. Instead of thinking about how weird you're feeling look around and see all the beauty there is to see. Distract yourself with positive thoughts.
I really hope this helps.
It sounds like a croc but I think it may help you.

Thumbelina
25-05-09, 09:30
Extraction from reality and depersonalisation are the worst things that came to me with anxiety attacks and depression.
During this moments when it took place i was asking myself who am i amd what am i doing here, it was scary.

You feel like you thinking somebody elses thoughts and can see your body from above or from outside.
I still have it sometimes.
It is described as one of the worst sideeffects of the extreme prolonged anxiety, and i try to repeat it to myself when it happens, thought its hard to beleive at that moement. You think that you are definately going mad, loopy or floating out of space.
But YES, You are not alone, many people have experienced it and still are.

BasilCat
25-05-09, 13:10
Hi Lioness, Here is the link to a great article about DR. I have had this for 3 years but its almost gone now. Like yourself, some days have been worse than others, and some have been better. But there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel as I have had this before and it has always lifted completely. I know how scary it is and how hard it is to explain it to someone who has not experienced it. If I am honest, it is one of the worst things I have ever had to deal with but it WILL definitely stop coming. See what you think of the article written by Paul David. Also, as AmandaL says, look around for all the beauty there is to see and quit talking about how bad you feel, also try and keep positive too.

http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/depersonalisation_and_derealisation.html

Shirley
x x x

lioness
27-05-09, 00:42
Thank you for all your help and support everyone, it's so good to have people on this site to talk to, who you know you can trust :)
xx

username5927
28-05-09, 04:35
Agreed. Derealization sucks the big one. Good news is though, it's not forever. It will pass. Everyone is different and from my personal experiences, recovery times are different as well. My current bout began on April 1st. The time before this was at least five-six years ago and it only lasted a few days. My major episode lasted months and months. That was well over ten years ago and it was so deep that I couldn't even stay in the bathroom long enough to shower. Anyway, point is, don't give up hope. This will pass. You are not going to go insane or be stuck with this forever. Regardless of how bad you feel it gets.
Medication, meditation and therapy are pretty popular recovery aids but like the previous posts state before, get your mind off of it as best as you can. Make up, going out, working out. Anything that takes your mind off of it. I lived off Calvin and Hobbes, crossword puzzles and Law and Order for months.
The way my friend/therapist explains derealization to me is that it's a reaponse to your anxiety. Your mind is trying to numb itself out, so to speak. I was advised that once your anxiety and stress levels go down the DR will lessen and lessen. I thought about this and sure enough, I thought back to all the biggest stress triggers in my life, brother going to prison, g/f leaving me and being homeless, g/f attempts suicide (i dont have a lot of luck with g/fs lol) and within days of these events the DR and panic attacks were there. Usually the DR would freak me out and cause the panic attack. Maybe this is common? I'll start another post and take a poll. Anyway, talk to your doctor about referring you to someone that has treated panic disorder/derealization before. If they recommend medication and you feel comfortable with that, go for it. Learn to deal with your stress and anxiety though. Thats the biggest one. Use logic to fight off your irrational thoughts.
Didnt intend to go on like this. Hope something I said helps someone!

NoPoet
28-05-09, 14:50
Hi, I get this occasionally, usually it comes as a "spaced out" feeling when I'm very tired or extremely stressed. It's your mind's way of escaping from stress and anxiety and it is a harmless and natural coping mechanism. It's scary because it feels weird and we have no control over it.

Please be reassured that it is not a sign that there is anything seriously wrong with you -- it is your mind taking a break from reality so it can avoid stress and heal itself, that's all :)