PDA

View Full Version : What's in a word?

xBettyBoopx
24-05-09, 20:37
Does anyone remember as far back as when 'anxiety' was called 'suffering with your nerves'? To me this phrase seems more simple, easier to get over. The word 'Anxiety' is a horrible word to me. Maybe all words with an 'X' in them are horrible!! Maybe I have to much time to think:blush: :blush: :ohmy: :ohmy:

'Health Anxiety' was called 'hypercondria' - maybe that doesn't sound so drastic either. Panic attacks are now 'Panic Disorder':scared15:

I dunno maybe it's just me, but when it was a plain & simpler language, it seemed & felt easier to get over. I know that seems like it can't possibly make a difference but I feel that it does. I suppose that's why Dr Weekes's first 2 books are called 'Peace from nerves suffering' & 'Self help for your nerves'.

They used to have cartoons strips in papers depicting 2 woman talking over the garden fence with a fag hanging out of their mouths saying "ooooooooh yer, she suffers with her nerves".

Maybe I'm talking outta me a***:scared15: :wacko: :lac: :weep:

Els

mick_uk
24-05-09, 21:22
Hiya Els,
I think you are right. I have thought this for a while now. Everything has to have a special name now. I think we have to have a pigeon hole to be put into. People have always had social phobia but it was called shyness then. It's still a real problem for lots of people it's just the name has changed. I hate the word anxiety too, it's too harsh sounding.

Ireni
24-05-09, 22:36
You do have a point, but I disagree with it being a bad thing. I agree, certainly, that 'over-labelling' is harmful, but 'suffering with your nerves' makes people sound weak. It's almost as if it's your fault, like a character flaw rather than a condition that needs to be dealt with.

Hypochondria used to be perfectly fine but it has now developed so that it has extremely negative connotations (think Woody Allen) which reinforces the stereotypes that anxious people suffer.

I think that by giving it a medical-sounding name it actually helps people to understand that anxiety is a legitimate illness. It isn't trivial and it is debilitating. I can understand why 'suffering with nerves' makes it seem less of a massive obstacle which needs to be overcome, but at the same time it makes it seem like less of a problem than it is.

Just my thoughts. :)