PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to deal with negative thoughts

phil06
25-05-09, 13:32
I find this the most difficult part of anxiety. I have been suffering it intense for over a year or more. I just feel at times I can't cope as they appear so real and almost put a blanket over my reality.

The whole doubt thing stops me seeing a clear picture. I find it gets obsessive and the last day I feel what If I feel like this forever you hear people saying I had this thought for ten years or something.

I'm suffering stress which never helps plus I struggle to take myself off the computer and have a bit many late nights meaning I'm more tired. I am trying to exercise and try some healthier foods.

The thing with thoughts is you can sometimes accept it's anxiety and move on from it for a day, week maybe more and they come back with vengeance and they seem even more real than the time before. I just feel I can't see clear. Say you ignore them the thoughts linger "what if" and it could go on all day until I eventually get stressed by it.

The thing is I fear losing control, being out myself. It's at the point where almost anything brings an intrusive thought. You get normal ones but it's a cycle of the big ones plus anything you do ties in some how or you worry about something obsure and worthless.

Panic attacks can be dealt with medication but the power of the mind can be too controlling. You can't train the mind as easy to just stop a thought. I see every thought as meaningful I mean my mind has these negative horrible thoughts and I think as I'm thinking it that it must be true? But does the mind tell lies or become exaggerated?

It's at the point I feel I need some inner reading perhaps books on psychology? I have read up lots on OCD but the information is to generalised I soon forget it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels these thoughts are the worst part. It puts you through the motions, sad, happy, worried, stressed. How do you know the real you? Do you have to act on the way you behave?

I know it sounds like I am fighting it but I've had some horrible thoughts for two years or so and I'm at my Witt's end. I can't see clearly but part of that is life stress and part is pro longed anxiety. I just don't see any direct pointers on where or what to do next?

It's just going to be dealing with the next episode of intense worrying in the next day or hours. :blush:

NoPoet
26-05-09, 17:25
I could have written that post myself -- it is very reassuring to know that other people are going through the same thing I am.

The thing with thoughts is you can sometimes accept it's anxiety and move on from it for a day, week maybe more and they come back with vengeance and they seem even more real than the time before. I just feel I can't see clear. Say you ignore them the thoughts linger "what if" and it could go on all day until I eventually get stressed by it.
Yeah, that is very familiar. I have been trying to avoid thinking or talking about my problems since Saturday, I have simply tried to get on with my normal life. It has only been partly successful. I cannot seem to switch my negative thoughts off. My fears just cut through my good moods. I know they are unrealistic, I know I am scared of stuff that either hasn't happened or ended a long time ago... but instead of being comforted, I am stuck thinking "I feel bad, so I must be scared about SOMETHING!"

I am fighting this every day, so when I find a way to beat it, I will let you know. Don't hold your breath though, this is probably going to last longer than the Vietnam war. Guerilla warfare is always the worst kind.

It's at the point I feel I need some inner reading perhaps books on psychology? I have read up lots on OCD but the information is to generalised I soon forget it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels these thoughts are the worst part. It puts you through the motions, sad, happy, worried, stressed. How do you know the real you? Do you have to act on the way you behave?
The way I define who I am is to indentify a set of behaviours, mannerisms and thought patterns that are consistently mine. It's the way you are when you are not concentrating on "being" anyone or anything.